Confused !!

connolls

Hello all,

I am confused and worried about our position.

We have opened up our Chambres d'Hotes tnis year and have declared this with the Mairie etc.

We are just about to register with AE for the business, which will be our only income !!!

Its looking good so far but suspect we will have to return to the UK after the season (end of Oct) to work there over the winter (probably until about the end of March) to earn some pennies.

We do not now own a house in the UK so will be staying with relatives (what joy !!!)

Heres my question (or a few of them anyway !!!)..........What do we do about the AE while we are not in France ?

Do we inform them that we will only be open until October ? Do we have to "close down" the AE while we are in the UK and re-register when we get back ?

Has anyone done, or is doing the same thing and how has it worked for you ?

Soooooooooo many questions sooooo little time !!!

Thanks for any information.

Kind regards Mel.

Hi,

As you will be in the UK less than 183 days you will remain tax resident in France , but may be liable to tax in the UK for work done there. As I understand it, if you work in employment under PAYE then that income is exempt in France and should be declared on form 2047 page 4 sec VII and 2042 box TI. If your work in the UK is self-employed then you may be able to declare in france under microBIC and claim a credit for UK tax paid (if you pay any there). If you want to be absolutely sure you should discuss with HMRC (residency dept) and your french tax office-but don't be surprised if they tell you different stories. You will probably need to get an EHIC for health cover while in the UK--discuss with your caisse maladie.

Hi Parsnips,

Thanks for the reply, it's given me some information, but I'm still unsure about how we inform the AE that we won't be "trading" in the winter, would this just be"nil" declaration on our quarterly returns ?

If anyone has any Info on this point I will be really grateful.

Thanks so far.

Mel.