"allure" = speed!

menthe

I think I am still getting to know the new gadget for measuring my car for kilomètrage and the analysis of how I drive it!  As described in my technology and cars thread....

So I had a look today at the info and came across the word "allure".  Did I think it had anything to do with allure as I know it?  Of course not, this is French after all!

Allure, said with the emphasis on the first syllable, means "speed" in this context.  The online dictionary gives this example:

La voiture est passée à tout allure.  To mean: The car passed at full speed.

Now perhaps I'd better up the speed of my personal allure?😂

Hey, HD, it works...tried it on my kiné this morning.

We had very reduced visibility on the roads, there being thick fog everywhere.  So, I began by saying that the weather was très mauvais, that the fog made the roads dangerous that despite all that, the French drove their cars à toute allure.

He laughed and made the sound of a growl of car engine.

So now you can use it with complete confidence on your neighbour😄

HD I hadn't realised that you didn't live year long in France.

Do you come with Hector, your filial and affectionate son?  Does he exist or is he purely imaginary?

No, don't answer if you think me impertinent and my questions too personal!  I am only pulling your leg and having a laugh with you.

Years ago, when the forum was young, the members used to do things like that, joshing each other, inventing imaginary friends and comic neighbours and, in Woolybanana's case, eccentric family members.

Now the forum has grown old as have the members.  It's become staid and straight-laced and PC and, dare I say it, a bit boring.

We have had our secondaire for 22 years and spent as long as we could there during academic holidays when we worked and now we are restricted by the wretched 90/180 days rule. Our French neighbours also think we live there permanently and just visit UK to see our family. It is in fact children and grandchildren and long term friends that have kept us from a permanent move to France.

Hector is our latest dog who dominates most of our lives. Over the years we have had three other dogs, all fluent in French.

In those early years after buying our house in France I was a member of several forums, most of which have vanished along with the evidence of the fun aspects of the membership. Masses of useful information and advice has been lost with them.