Having bought a holiday home near Pontivy in 2003,we were wondering if there are any Irish home owners online.From newspaper articles and the popularity of t.v. programmes such as "A Place In The Sun" plus the sales "Living France" in Ireland surely there must be some Irish homeowners out there.We would be interested in discussing issues peculiar to Irish francophiles i.e. access,Brittany Ferries riduculousy high prices on their Irish route etc.

Hi Irish eyes
Don't get me started on ferry prices. I've booked a trip at Easter , from Cork, we live in Dublin! And for the summer too we're sailing from Rosslare. Both are so expesive. We are planning to buy a house in Brittany this year but getting there in the future gives me the shivers. The ferries are so expensive but flying seems to be out unless you like spending days at Luton, not much use for a long weekend really. At some time in teh future we hope to be able to decamp to Franc for the summer but for the moment I'll certainly be staying here although hubby and kids may be able to go for longer trips
So far we've tried Dublin-Cherbourg and that's fine but expensive (1,800 return this summer). It's not a great boat either.
How have you guys found it so far?

Hello Blue and Nigal-Anne.
Sarie and I live in Dundalk, Co Louth, and have a small house about 50 miles south of Angers. We bought it at Easter 2001, and have been down several times since then. For summers and Easter, we travel with Irish Ferries, and at Christmas we go with Ryanair.
This year we went from Dublin to Stanstead, thence to Poitiers. It worked very well. Poitiers is 40 miles from our village.
We would like to keep make contact and stay in touch.
Eugene

We were living in Ireland and Germany prior to coming to Poitiers. Just gave up on ferries. We always flew...when you time it right and hire a car it is the only option. Now we are on the ground here would be good to here from any fellow countrypeople...(though have to claim to be half German, so probably don't count)

Thanks for all the info folks, I can't seem to reply on my home computer for some reason.
Really looking forward to house hunting and hopefully after easter we'll be on looking for more infor about particular towns and villages we've fallen for. Hope we can at least narrow the search down a bit.
Also any more info about how to get from Ireland to France will be very welcome.
Anne

• 4 months later...
Top of the morning to yer!

Well it should be my husband saying his as he is Irish - Fergus - a Belfast boy!

We have been here (17/33) since April, but been in France 4+ years (not including the time spent as Stagere).

As my husband is from the North we dont do the Brittany Ferry bit as it is just too far (with 2 small kids).

Miss Ireland but not the weather, the Guiness, the "Crack" the smiley faces.

Deby n' Fergus

Hi,nice to know there are other Irish people in this area of France. Our tiny holiday cottage is in Dept. 79 near Secondigny.We live in Norfolk at present,but hope to spend a lot more time in France.My English husband is GOLF mad.and plays near Parthenay.Anyone else play ? I am from Dublin.