Tax Foncier & d'Habitation - New House

mary

Hi

We purchased our First house in France this February 2011. Previously we rented.

I have not received a bill for either Tax. How do they know I am the new owner. The notaire said the bill will go to the previous owner, how does she get it, does it not come to the 'Owner' at the address?

So how do I get into the system and how do I start paying. Will the bill be for this year or 2012 if\when I get it. I was told by the agent when we purchased, dont worry they will get in touch.

If you were renting on the 1st of January 2011 you should have received the taxe d'hab bill for 2011 for the place you rented.

Whosoever lives somewhere on the1st of Jan is responsible for the taxe d'hab bill for that year. And the owner is responsible for the taxe fonciere bill for that year, if they own the property on the 1st of Jan.

The notaires inform the tax office and you should get your bills in autumn 2012, if you don't, then you need to get in touch with the hotel des impots. 

[quote user="vida"]We purchased our First house in France this February ...

I have not received a bill for either Tax. How do they know I am the new owner.[/quote]

They know because - hopefully - you wrote on the Income Tax form back in May that you had moved in 2011 and you added your new address in the appropriate box.

Sue

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="Benjamin"]Moved in 2011= no Income Tax forms to fill in until 2012.  [:)][/quote]

????? [/quote]

I don't think Benjamin read the part where the OP said they had been renting. Perhaps the print wasn't big enough.

Sue

Yes, I wrote on the income tax form in May this year of change of address, also wrote on tax form previous May 2010 of rental address, but I never received a bill. I think foncier and habitation must have gone to the landlord as he showed me the bill and just asked me to pay the element for the 'Dustman'.

So if I filled in my new address on the tax form this may, should I have receievd a bill by now?

As Idun has already said the bills are always for the calendar year based on the situation as at 1st January.

So if your landlord is taking responsibility for your old property, the bills for your new property are the responsibility of whoever sold you the property.

Its is however normal for the fonciere to be apportioned between the old and new owners. If you agreed to this it will have been specified in the Acte. You may find that the Notaire added on an amount to cover the bill based on last year's charge. In this case you will have nothing to pay for this year other than the waste collection bill, if that is collected separately in your area.