le grand parc puy du fou

The Puy du Fou is in Vendée (85), not far from the town of Les Herbiers (and, of course, not far from Cholet, as Woody says).

It can be a bit confusing, as there are two distinct things:

the daytime "Grand Parc", described as a "historical theme park" - which makes it sound ghastly, but it is in fact really brilliant! Set-piece performances include Roman chariot-racing, invasion of the Vikings, battle agains the English (100 Years War style); you can wander around medieval village, 18C village and - new this year, so I haven't seen it - the 1900 village. And there is the most fantastic falconry show I have ever seen (and I can usually take or leave them!).  All in lovely manicured grounds, with shady woodland too.
It is open from May till mid-September I think (maybe weekends and bank holidays only, during May).  You absolutely need a whole day there - if not, two.

The night-time "Cinéscénie" is a massive son-et-lumiere show - obviously not starting till 10 or 10.30pm, and so ending around midnight.  Around 800 locals take part, re-enacting the history of their region.  Dazzling jousting scenes, ballet dancers pirouetting on the surface of the lake, amazing sound and lighting technology of course.  Is played on Fri and Sat nights from June to Aug.  Gets booked up months in advance - but you can call from the UK and book with a credit card.  (NO refunds for bad weather though.)   In fact, I have found that you can usually get in on the night if you just turn up; either you might be lucky to get some unsold tickets, or else you will find representatives of groups who are anxious to sell spare tickets if any of their party has dropped out.  (This is quite legit; they do it alongside the ticket office.)  If you go for the last-minute option, then you go to the ticket office *at the starting time of the show* rather than an hour ahead - the time ticket-holders are told to turn up.

Info on both from www.puydufou.com

No, I don't work for them!  But I have been a few times to both.  I also did an article for Brittany Ferries' now-defunct on-board magazine a few years back about the background to the night-time show, and was hugely impressed with the dedication that the locals - of all generations - bring to the event, and how it binds them all together as a "family" (known as "puyfolais").

There is a smaller-scale annual night-time show at Olonne-sur-Mer (85) each summer, for four or five nights, called "Cette nuit, Pierre-Levée...", which is very good even with far more limited resources.

At Machecoul (44), just north of Challans (85), there is usually another smaller son-et-lumière about Gilles de Rais - inspiration for the fictional "Blue-beard", played out against the sinister ruins of Gilles de Rais' castle.

Angela

http://www.the-vendee.co.uk

We have been a couple of times - and the shows are brilliant and the whole day very reasonable. I believe the park has now closed for the season - but anyone visiting this area in the summer months should go. Although the evening performances get sold out weeks in advance.

We went to the Puy du Fou this year; people have been trying to persuade us for the last 5 years. It was brilliant! Can't recommend it highly enough.

Angela, I rather miss the BF mag. It was far better than the summary of British news they now hand out at their French ports.

What can I say, le puy du fou is the best, we go every year to the Cinecine as each time there are a few slight changes. The story remains unchanged but they always seem to add just that little bit extra. One of our neighbours in the village works there making the scenery and he said the place never ceases to amaze him.

Anyone going to the evening performance needs to book well in advance due to its immense popularity, it seems all of France turns out for this.

Last year we booked over the phone from England and this year via the Internet, each time no problem whatsoever.

Jax