building insurance

I have just received my insurance renewal notice and it has jumped from 182 euros to 782 euros. I have queried it with my agent and he tells me that all insurance companies have increased their rates. I can't believe they can increase it by 600 euros. has anybody had the same experience? 

• 2 weeks later...

Trouble is, you have to give two months notice of temination of contract so looks like you are lumbered this year.

I would go into the assurance office and thump the desk and generally rage about robbers who stitch up the English and see what they say.......If you don't pay, they will treaten you with all sorts but just keep telling them they are robbers and bandits and go somewhere else.

Might STILL work but a good ten years ago .....

Surely there can be no way, that price is for exactly the same sitiuation as the previous year?

I seem to remember that there was a couple of ways of cancelling ones insurance policies.

One was, as Alexis rightly says, give 2 months notice and I am sure that there can sometimes be a clause, that states the client has a choice whether or not to continue their policy, if the yearly fee rises by more than a reasonable amount?

Look through your policy and if you do not have that clause then still demand that the new price is unreasonable anyway.

We have a couple of friends with rather a large amount of insurance cover with the same insurer and who as a matter of course, cancel their policies 2 months before the renewal dates, as they reckon this keeps the insurers on their toes. That way they think they always get the best rates!

I expect they do as well. 

[quote]Surely there can be no way, that price is for exactly the same sitiuation as the previous year? I seem to remember that there was a couple of ways of cancelling ones insurance policies. One was, as ...[/quote]

Hi

I have just renewed my insurance for buildings contents etc etc and the premium was about the same as last year 240 euros and we dont live in our French house yet so they know it is empty most of the time. I cant see that a rise of 600 is right I agre you should make a big big fuss.

I would get a quote from someone else and wave it under their noses (as long as its cheaper of course.)

Hope you sort it out

Phil:

[quote]Trouble is, you have to give two months notice of temination of contract so looks like you are lumbered this year. I would go into the assurance office and thump the desk and generally rage about rob...[/quote]

I had read about several months notice. However, I thought (though may be remembering incorrectly) that they had to give you even more notice of a change in the premium (or more than a certain percentage). Unfortunately I cannot remember where I read this, nor am I sure about details, etc. Others may know more.

Certainly, my building insurance has increased (a very little) and I am in the process of claiming on the policy (for somethingh during last year).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, although I was given no explanation by my agent, when I enquired at another agency it transpired that because I have been insured for 5 years they have assumed that I have restored a barn in excess of 300 sq m! Which sadly I haven't.I changed to AGF at a reasonable premium