Ikea France - Bordeaux

Hi

We are planning on buying some large items from Ikea's website and arrange for delivery of them for when we are over in France for a few weeks.  Has anyone had any experience of this and if so did they find it all went well. It will be during August could there be delays etc with french holidays?

Hoping for any comments. 

Gail

Hello,

Not had deliveries I find that their costs are too high.  I find it much cheaper to hire a van and do it yourself if at all practical.

Other point to note if you buy one of the IKEA kitchens the price is 40% more expensive than the UK - I was shocked at this!  I purchased a kitchen in the UK had it delivered here by a third party and still save myself 900 quid! Not to be sniffed at.  Why the price difference I have no idea except it is what the customer is prepared to pay as the prices of IKEA's other products are pretty even.

I do know of one friend who had hers delivered there were a few items missing - you have 30 days to point this out, however they had to go back into Bordeaux at  own expense and liaise with customer services in broken french.  There is usually someone who does speak english as they have so many British customers.  You would be amazed at how many english voices one hears.

Hope this helps.
Deby

Hi,

I suggest you consider hiring a large van from stores such as Super U (if you have one). Vans cost from 29 Euros per day + insurance. You can ring ahead if you are pressed for time and your stuff will be waiting at the collection point once you have paid for it. We compared prices with UK stores and found our kitchen units (free standing) to be cheaper in France. if you live near one of their 'zones' you can get delivery but it costs more the further away from the store that you live. Good luck.

I agree with Renate - we had to furnish our entire house with essentials (beds, etc) and hired a van and drove to Bordeaux. We fitted all the furniture we needed in a high-roofed transit, no problems. This is the good side of flatpacks. The bad side involved spending the next few days building the b*** stuff!!

Maybe we've just been lucky, but one significant improvement over the UK Ikeas that I've noticed in Bordeaux is that the staff are much more efficient and the store is generally relatively uncrowded. You can check/compare prices between UK and France by visiting the respective websites. I think we came out about even on the cost of purchasing in France as it is swings and roundabouts and depends on what you want. for example, a  comparison I made at the time showed that across the board, dining room furniture is more expensive in Ikea France than UK!

Remember, though, that if you buy certain things such as sofas, you may have no choice - some are "delivery only" items so you have no choice but to pay for delivery!

Jane

Hi

Sorry not an answer to the question but may be of use

We bought a sofa from a place called Sesame, they told me to call back a hour later and I could use one of their vans, we went back and the van was loaded up waiting for us, and it was free, the furniture isn't as good as Ikea tho.

Good luck