I think the whole of Poitou Charente has a hosepipe ban at the moment (and for the foreseeable future). We're in 79 (Deux Sevres) and we aren't allowed to use the hosepipe, or wash our cars.  There's also a ban on filling pools, etc - although there are exceptions for 'in the ground' pools, where leaving them empty would lead to later problems with filtering equipment, etc.

[quote]hi Can anyone in the poitiers area (86) tell us if there is any watering restrictions in force.[/quote]

You need to go to your local Mairie and they will tell you where the restrictions are and for how long in your area.

If your prize possession is a very thirsty garden be EXTREMELY crafty as to how you water it! If some efficiously officious civil servant comes to inspect your property and see a hosepipe lying about for the purpose of quenching the thirsty garden, you may end up in trouble!

To be forewarned is to be forearmed!

Don't think that these restrictions are a fairly new thing and will disappear by the start of the autumn, in south 79 (in and around Niort-on the north and east side of the town) these restrictions came in as far back as the 1970's!!

Hosepipe ban is an English expression in our region the same as yours we are allowed to water our veg but not our flowers with or without a hosepipe there are a lot more complicated things included such as cars and vans except those that have a legal obligation to keep clean and you may wash at a commercial washing station, the complications in your garden comes from the word "cultures" but we have asked everyone around here and looked at various websites i.e. the prefecture   Having said this dont take my word as this is France and everyone has a different idea including the nice old lady next door who waters her plants at the front of house every day untill gallons of water oozes right down the road , We were watering our cultures today and the spotter helicopter passed overhead either checking my interpretations or making sure the English neighbour has not filled her pool up