Trains to Poitiers.

Hi all,

Im planning a "trial run" (approx late Jan early Feb 06) for the journey i will be taking weekly to London from Balandiere (vienne 86) once we have relocated to our new home. I have all train times to and from nearest train station, St-Saviol to Poitiers (SNCF) and flight times to and from Poitiers to Stanstead. However could someone please help me with the following questions......

1. How do I get to Airport from Poitiers SNCF?? (vice versa if different)

2. Approx time it takes??

3. Costs??

Also if anyone commutes to London?? please share your hints and tips with me, I intend to use various options and will be going to London once a week i.e (Tuesday am to thursday pm) via plane or train to waterloo??.

Thanks

Chris.  

Hi couple of years since we did this but taxi is easy and quick...takes about 10 mins and seem to remember was between 10 and 15 euros, although could be wrong...taxis easy at the station but a bit thin on the ground at the airport, so pick up a card so you can call one...a lot of people seemed to be doing that

You might find it easier to catch the train from Poitiers to Waterloo as Ryanair have a nasty habit of altering flight times. At the moment they fly out early evening but last year they were mid afternoon.

A guy I work for commutes every other week to London and manages to do quite a bit of work on the train. OK so it takes a few hours but what with the hassle at Stanstead waiting for luggage and then getting to London, he says it's better for him and more reliable. No idea of costs though, sorry.

Christopher,

not sure from your post who will be funding your commute.  Please be aware that if your company is paying for your travel expenses, that after 12 months the Inland Revenue will consider the payment to be benefits in kind and will tax it.

If this is not your situation then sorry for the digression.

Hi,

I commute weekly from Poitiers to Stanstead, and the service for the cost is excellent.

Ryan Air are efficient, extremely functional, friendly and cheap. 

I would suggest the flight to Stanstead, then use the discounted train fare (tickets sold on board the flight) to London on the Stanstead Express train to Central London (Liverpool Streeet I think?).

http://www.stanstedexpress.com/

The scheduled timings to my mind are robust, with lateness infrequent.  Poitiers Airport has free carparking should you need to leave a car. 

I believe, that taxable expeneses are only incurred/levied after 2 years in any single office/workplace location - not the 1 years as stated above.  Certainaly that is the Tax Rule that my Consultancy has been using, along with all of my colleagues, for the last 7 years worth of commisions, and is in accord with our Accountant & Tax Office Guidance.

I hope this info helps - my commute now is really easy, low on stress & flexible - as rebooking flights is so cheap, should you need to change your agenda.

Good luck,

mark

• 5 weeks later...
Have just done this - 3/1/06.  Taxi from station was about 8 euros.  But on arrival at Poitiers on 23/12/05 there were NO TAXIS and it was very cold. We only had jand baggage and had sussed out the town ap of Poitiers, so we walked to the staion, it only took about 20 mins.  The flight was early, so perhaps taxis did arrive eventually.  We knew that tranport from airport to station waa a problem, no mini bus link as yet.  Maggie A.