Gardens / Houses to visit around Angouleme/Jarnac/Cognac

Hello All

My elderly mother will be visiting in early August. She likes gardening so I am hoping to take her to see a few nice gardens and/or houses that might be open to the public. Any pointers to anything open at the beginning of August would be very welcome.

Thank you...

Nick

Nick

It may be too far away from you but the gardens at the Deau distillery in 17 are well worth visiting.

They have recently carried out lots of work there and had a special weekend for gardening enthusiasts a few weeks ago. Look out for the Victorian greenhouse, it's a gem. On a hot day there are some lovely shady corners with seats and benches where you can sit and look. It used to be free to go in to the grounds and also to take the distillery tour but they do make a charge now.

It's near St Andre de Lidon (17260) not far from Royan.

If you do go that far then take her to nearby Talmont, a very pretty village perched on the Gironde.

I've just tried to find if there was a site that gives *all* the gardens in France that have a "Jardin Remarquable" label. From my own experience last year visiting gardens in the Somme and the Pas de Calais, I'd say this is an infallible way to find the cream of the gardens - I saw some truly wonderful ones!

If you go to this page of the Rendezvous aux jardins site
http://www.rendezvousauxjardins.culture.fr/index.php?Message=act2
you can click on a link that says "telecharger la liste des jardins remarquables". It's a pdf file, and I couldn't seem to copy and past its link direct I am afraid.

Hope you find something good.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I get a second hand copy of the Charente Libre every day (to help improve my French) - they regularly list gardens etc that are open to the public. Another great publication that gives information on such things (and much more, such as brocantes, bric a brac, music etc) is Sortir, a free 'what's on' magazine - July / August issue is out now - somewhere!! I usually get mine from our local bar, but they haven't been delivered yet..

Wozza - you 're just looking for excuses to go to the bar daily, are you not?

LOL, I'm now going to spoil all that - have a look at

http://www.sortir16.net/

That goes for you too Nick, you might find something on/open which will entertain your mum.