Long Weekend or Mid week break

We are thinking about either a long weekend or midweek mooch to the coast at the end of Sept/early Oct, any recommendations for a dog friendly area/place.  Hoping that at this time of year we won't have to book but be able to pack and go when the weather is good.
We live near Limoges and don't want to drive too far so have been considering the area around Royan, unless someone knows somewhere better [I].

Thanks for the reply Cendrillon,  I will have to do some more research on the Royan area, i.e places to stay and things to do, although I expect we will spend quite a bit of time walking on the beach with the dogs, it will be interesting to see what they make of it.  Just thought are dogs allowed on the beach?

I don't have a dog so I am not sure, I know there are restrictions on some beaches. Perhaps someone with dogs will answer this one. Perhaps you could contact the tourist office and ask about the beaches..

I think on the islands Ile d'Oleron and Ile de Re etc you could walk your dog without any problem and possibly even more in the off season.

St. Georges de Didonne is a good place to visit. Architecture in Royan is modern, it was bombed in WW2 and rebuilt.