A lot will depend on what type of ground you have and if you're trying to tarmac over a previously laid surface or virgin ground.

If it's soft virgin earth then to make a job of it you'll need perhaps 100m of compacted hardcore with at least say 20 -30 mm of tarmac on top. If you're on rock you'll get away with a bit less. Best not to skimp though as a poor job will soon show up and need redoing.

I'm currently awaiting a quote myself for about 150 sq/m with a fairly rocky substrate and redoing a partly tarmac'd area too.

For background info THIS site seems quite good. Be interesting to see how the costs compare when my quote does eventually come in !

As promised:

€7,703.29 for 330sq/m (estimated) [+o(]

Sounds marginally better if you say €23 sq/m instead but still an order of magnitude above what I'm prepared to pay for the job.

It's back to the drawing board for a more economical DIY solution me thinks

Yes - yes - no

This was the first quote and I will look around for a couple more. Tarmac is the Rolls Royce solution and I wanted to get a feel for the job as much as anything but if this price is anywhere near representative then it's looking like a complete non starter [:(]