What to visit in or near Bergerac

Mrs Punch and I have been lucky enough to have won an invitation to the 200th celebration dinner for the French printed English language paper "The News" in Bergerac later this month.

It is an expenses paid trip and we have decided to stay over in  the region on the Saturday night (The Dinner is on the friday night), before returning back to Mayenne (53) sometime on Sunday.

Having never visited this region, what would you recommend we visit, (or where to stay for one night either in the region or on route back here) before heading back North on the Sunday evening?

Paul

Congratulations, what a wonderful prize!

I assume that since you are arriving in Bergerac you will see Bergerac itself, of which I would recommend seeing it has a beautiful old centre. However, if you are driving, I would recommend anyone coming to the Dordogne a must would be to make their way along the Dordogne River through the Dordogne Valley on the 703. Definitely go into the old part of Sarlat. This whole area can be quite touristy during the height of the summer season (for a reason) but this time of year you would have all the tourists sites to yourself, if you did decide to stop at any, otherwise the roads should be rather quiet. You can find Sarlat quite busy any time of year just because it is the area for schools and shopping for all of the surrounding rural areas but well worth your visit (most highly recommended). I personally would head either towards the Les Eyzies area or Montignac and then on up towards Perigueux. My personal recommendation from Sarlat would be: From Sarlat follow signs to Perigueux, take the D47 towards Perigueux and Les Eyzies and then from Les Eyzies take the D706 to Montignac. This is called the golden triangle of the Dordogne. Particularly on the D706, you will go through some very beautiful villages and countryside (our favourite in the summer is St Leon sur Vezere we always stop at the little café and have a coffee or glass of wine over looking the river next to the church). And then from Montignac, the beautiful town of Perigueux (again, well worth exploring) which is north and could be your last stop in the Dordogne heading on your way back North. The whole of the Dordogne is full of beautiful areas but in my opinion these are the most beautiful and dramatic. Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a lovely time. Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

Thanks WJT for you very helpful and comprehensive reply. I've printed it off and will get the trusty map out this week to take a closer look. There are going to be some pretty high ranking officials there including the HM British Ambassador to France, Sir John Holmes and The mayor of Periguex, Xavier Darcos, as well as others too numerous to mention. We are staying the friday night in a hotel in |Bergerac and the dinner is in Monbazillac so that's a good start! I am really looking forward to the dinner and then a good mosey around the area on the Saturday, including perhaps Sarlat. 

Paul.

Paul,

Was this due to sending in that questionnaire in the last edition of The News, if so, is it all done and dusted now ? Or should I quickly send in the duly filled form ?

Mayor of Pgx eh ! and a Sir and an Ambassaador Aah but I bet none of them could wire a house like you eh  [;)]

[quote user="Miki"]Paul,

Was this due to sending in that questionnaire in the last edition of The News, if so, is it all done and dusted now ? Or should I quickly send in the duly filled form ?

Mayor of Pgx eh ! and a Sir and an Ambassaador Aah but I bet none of them could wire a house like you eh  [;)]
[/quote]

No Miki, As it was their 200th edition celebration, they asked for people to send in a photocopy of their oldest copy of the "News"  Ours won, along with one other lucky reader.

My father in law used to say "Don't throw anything away - it will come in handy even if you never use it." This is the only instance I can recall that this saying has actually worked!! LOL.

I don't only wire houses you know, (although that's my apprenticeship trade) In fact I've employed a French roofer for five years and tend to do a great deal of roofing (seems to be the commonly asked for job from me at the moment, along with new doorway openings through 1 metre thick walls! )

Paul

Cripes,

Adam Brown, a fair time before the News (which was called what exactly,

when it first came out ?) once had a colour mag out in the DooDon

called the Dordogne Telegraph ( I am almost sure that was the name) and

I also have somewhere, a couple of old copies of South West France and

the other monthly journal that was it's competitor for a while in the

mid 90's and the name escapes me for a minute, anyone remember ?

Should have sent him that colour mag, might have got invited for aperos

at least ! Adam Brown and Clin Bond have been involved with a monthly

ex pat journal in one form or another, for many, many years.

Paul, congratulations on your win. I envy you the prize.

I'll second WJT's suggestion and offer a small amendment/deviation. Follow the D703 until just after Beynac, then immediately after the railway bridge, turn right and continue to head towards Sarlat via Vitrac. This way you'll pass through La Roque Gageac which I think is the centre of the universe out of season. You can then continue to Sarlat as WJT suggested.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hoddy

"Paul, congratulations on your win. I envy you the prize.

I'll second WJT's suggestion and offer a small amendment/deviation.

Follow the D703 until just after Beynac, then immediately after the

railway bridge, turn right and continue to head towards Sarlat via

Vitrac. This way you'll pass through La Roque Gageac which I think is

the centre of the universe out of season. You can then continue to

Sarlat as WJT suggested.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hoddy"

"Follow the D703 until just after Beynac"

Perhaps take the time to stop in Beynac, park at the bottom by the main

road and walk to the top. However awful Beynac is in the summer, it is

well worth visiting off-season.

Regards,