Water facture-Lyonnaise des eaux

Hi

I have just recd my first facture from Lyonnaise des eaux it is for 55.56 euros.  Im presuming this is either a standing charge or possibily a charge for a new contract.  It is not for water usuage as we haven't had any yet.  

If it is a standing charge can anyone tell me what period it is likely to cover  i.e do you get two half yearly like in the UK or could it be from date of purchase to end of year pro rated?

There are no dates on it just

Abonnement..which  I take it is standing charge

Also do i send a cheque back with the TIP or just my RIB.

Thanks

It sounds like this is an initial, one-off charge (abonnement = subscription). We just received our latest water bill - it clearly stated the general connection charge and then the consommation charge, giving a meter reading too. It also stated the dates covered. If it is just a one-off I would send a cheque(with TIP attached but not signed). You would only send the RIB really if you want to set up a direct debit/standing order and I am always wary of doing this as our bank charges for cancelling direct debits!

Hope this helps,

Jane

I received a similar bill when I arrived at the end of February last year from Sogedo, our local water provider. It would appear that it is the 'connection charge' for the new customer contract. I received the actual water bill for consumption 6 months later. In my area - not sure about the rest of France - the water bills are sent out every 6 months. Each year one bill will be estimated and the other based on the reading from the water meter.

I have just received a bill like this and as I don't speak French very well I punched the letter, explaining the reason for the bill, into my translator. It came up with this:

"Department of water and purification:

From the July 2005, The township of belesta delegated its expertise in water and purification in the SMDEA (Union Mixed Departmental of water and purification)

On this occasion, to get in conformity with the legislation, the township took a deliberation instituting a subscription purification of an amount of 50 euros for every subscriber indebted to purification.

This year, you received therefore:

An invoice to the first semester, including the following elements,:

•       Subscription for water.

•       Consumption of water (from the 01/04/2004 to 31/03/2005).

•       Consumption purification (from the 01/04/2004 at 31/03/2005).

•       The tax Adour-Garonne for withdrawal on the natural habitat.

•       The countervalue Adour-Garonne for pollution.

•       The FNDAE.

(this invoice is identical to those that you received before)

An invoice to the second term including:

Subscription purification."

Frankly I can't work out if it's a one off or an on-going thing,

If they didn't agree to it until July 2005 why invoice for 2004 ?

I'll pay it anyway and see what happens. I guess it's for drawing off water from the Garonne and purifying it but no-doubt someone may have a more detailed idea. [8-)][*-)]