Sunflowers in Gers

We have just come back from our place in the beautiful Gers, and all the fields of sunflowers are the most fantastic sight.  How long do they last?  When are they harvested?  We are going out again Mid August, and were hoping that they would still be there.  They really are magnificent!!

JT

Yes I was noticing today how beautiful they are. Sorry to be a bit negative but you may be disappointed in mid-August as the flower heads soon start to dry up and look brown. Depends on the weather - they may stay bright a bit longer. They aren't harvested until they have dried out, I think September, then the top half is cut leaving stubble for a while. Later it's all dug back in. I think you've seen them at their best. Pat.

Ours here in Deux-Sèvres have already started forming their seed heads

and are no longer following the sun as they are now too heavy.  I

just hope that they don't die again this year due to lack of water as

they have done in recent years.  They are really only beautiful

for a couple of weeks and soon "go over".  Hold on to the memories!

Here in the NW Dordogne, the fields are looking beautiful too. But, they don't last that long and in 2003 during the last canicule they turned black and dry  very quickly and then looked a real mess until they were harvested.

[quote user="Suandpete"]Ours here in Deux-Sèvres have already started forming their seed heads

and are no longer following the sun as they are now too heavy.  I

just hope that they don't die again this year due to lack of water as

they have done in recent years.  They are really only beautiful

for a couple of weeks and soon "go over".  Hold on to the memories!

[/quote]

I might be wrong but sunflowers do not follow the sun.... they just face the rising sun... well at least in dept 24 they do...

monti