Some honest opinion required.

We currently own a house in Ariege but still live in the UK. We rent out the house part time to help cover the costs. Everytime we leave it, we miss it more and more. We are now at the stage where we long to live there full time eventually (probably in 2008). So just a few questions for those that have made the move:

Firstly, If you have young children how did they cope with the move and do they seem to be happier overall? How hard was the transition to French schooling/language for them to cope with?.

Secondly, do you find the quality of life that much better than in the UK?.

Thirdly, I run a property maintenance/restoration company in the UK. How do expat tradesmen get treated by the locals and is there a market for me to operate this sort of business?.

Fourthly, Is the tax regime as bad as it seems to be?. If I was to make the move will it be a lot of hassle?. I am struggling to sort out the tax on my gite rental, it does not seem as simple as the UK.

I would appreciate open and honest answers to any of the above. We have 2 years before we can move and if we decide to go for it, we need to start planning now.  I need to hear the plusses and minuses if you have any. If you feel you don't want to post in open forum please PM me.

Many Thanks

[quote user="Smiley"]

Firstly, If you have young children how did they cope with the move and do they seem to be happier overall? How hard was the transition to French schooling/language for them to cope with?.

Up to about age 8 seems to be fine. Older children do seem to struggle with the language and find it harder to fit in

Secondly, do you find the quality of life that much better than in the UK?.

Depends how you measure quality of life 

Thirdly, I run a property maintenance/restoration company in the UK. How do expat tradesmen get treated by the locals and is there a market for me to operate this sort of business?.

You have to be flexible but I should think there is scope.

Fourthly, Is the tax regime as bad as it seems to be?. If I was to make the move will it be a lot of hassle?. I am struggling to sort out the tax on my gite rental, it does not seem as simple as the UK.

Keep on the right side of the system and it is not too bad, but it is very costly and it does take a while to get established so you need some funds to cover possible initial shortfall

[/quote]