Initially posted this in the wrong section.

My wife has this thing about Nice. She goes on and on about how good it would be to live there. We have visited on holiday many times but never lived there.
For those of you who actually live there (full or part time) could you please share your impressions and experiences, good and bad?

I love Nice too. I like the people, I like the atmosphere. We have holidayed there in an appt from hell and still had a great time. I know a lot of it is a bit scruffy too and I don't mind that either.

So I will also be interested in hearing from people who live there too. Although I don't think that I've noticed anyone post who actually lives there.

Jon, I live in Nice part-time and although I've never seen any 'trouble' apart from traffic scrapes on the Promenade. I find the graffiti everywhere quite depressing, especially in the old town. It's such a shame because I think Nice is a great place to be, a real place with real people, warts and all, it's vibrant and it's got history by the bucketload, not like some of the white, bland, concrete places you can find in 'cheaper' parts of the med. The best bit - that view of the turquoise sea every day.

Like anywhere you need to look at the pros and cons. What is fabulous as a holiday destination could become a nightmare for day to day living. For example - if you fly in to NIce airport and take a taxi to your holiday accommodation and get around the town on foot or public transport - that is one thing. But havng to drive around the Blvd des Anglais - or the autoroute axes in rushhour is one of the worst nightmares i have ever encountered on the cote d'azur (and yes i did live there - for over 14 years) and i still go back to NIce at least twice a month and as much as i love it (think long leisurely lunches in the Vieux Nice) i have to grind my teeth every time i need to do business in the centre of town.

Give it serious thought before you make the move - there are millions of lovely towns and villages within easy access to Nice - do you really want to do battle every day with that traffic and that noise.

Having said that - Nice at the end of Feb, beginning of March when the Mardi Gras festivities (Nice carnival and Battle of Flowers) is on is fabulous