Is Midi-Pyrenees a nice place to live?

We are just in the process of selling our house here in the UK and still do not know what region of France we are moving to! Help! can anybody give me any infomation on the Mid-Pyrenees (good, or bad) because on paper we love it, but with a family in tow it needs to be good for us all! Also we are intending to have a gite or 2, failing that, my hubbys excellent at decorating, plumbing, carpentry etc. Are there any requirements for him in this area, do you think?

Picky mode on

The Midi Pyrenees in SW France is fabulous not sure about this one though .

Picky mode off

Seriously though we love it here in N Lot. Weather a bit extreme when compared to N Essex though - but see the sun more often and it's hotter too even discounting 2003 which was exceptional.

There is huge demand everywhere for French registered artisans so your other half should make a living though from what I have seen will not get rich - rates are not that high but taxes are.

Gites - not sure but there seems a risk of market flooding as all Brits want to do that line of biz.

We are rural but not remote - property prices and condition vary enormously and it seems that as you move down South particularly nearer Cahors that prices go mad, but I'm sure reasonable is still around. Only here full time since Oct so probably still seeing things rose tinted. Life is what you make it - not easy in a country where we speak the wrong language and are mainly far too impatient but we are learning on both counts.

LF is a great source of practical wisdom based on lots of peoples experience - but sometimes a thick skin is needed, if you are a bit delicate it may be best not to post on sensitive or pc subjects - and we have benefitted lots.

That's enough from me - I could bore for hours on the virtues of 46 and surroundings in general and 46120 in particular so maybe if you want more stuff please send to private inbox.

John

http://www.iceni-it.co.uk