Sat here in overcast Eastleigh watching D-Day coverage on t.v. about flotilla crossing the channel led by HMS Gloucester(worked on that). When a familiar engine noise is heard outside so leaping up from keyboard and rushing outside we are greeted with the spectacular sight of a Spitfire circling round, no wait there's another and then a deeper engine noise as we get to see the Lancaster bomber taking off from airport. The three aircraft form up, circle round us then head out to the Solent for a flypast. This is real lump in throat, tear in the eye stuff. They have returned now as I type this but are going up again later this p.m. to drop poppies in the water. This nostalgia bit get's me everytime. Do other people get affected in this way? Now looking forward to next display.
Terry (wiping tear from eye, but happy)

Yes, I couldn't watch it anymore on the TV as my French Grandfather was a part of it and recently died, we put the burning Flambeau on his coffin lid. I had to go into the garden and have a good weep accompanied by my 4 year old daughter who kept telling me everything was ok but she missed her 'Pappy' and that he was now in the clouds, how apt at such a time. I'm welling up again so I'll retreat for another blub in the veg garden and avoid the telly at all costs. Thanks for the posting, it's been cathartic. L, wiping tear from eye but sad.
ps. It gives me some kind of satisfaction to be surrounded by poppies at this moment.