Makes the thoughts of a move to that neck of the woods even more appealing.[B]

Although I have to say that I used to live 10 minutes drive from Guinness' Park Royal Brewery in London and the Guinness produced there was undrinkable. The fact that they've gone so far as trying to get a similar water source in Gard is encouraging though. Now they just have to teach Frenh bartenders how to pour a pint properly![:D]

[quote user="weliveinhope"]

The fact that they've gone so far as trying to get a similar water source in Gard is encouraging though.

[/quote]

The Pont du Gard exists for that very purpose. Those Romans knew what they were doing. Or maybe they can use it to send the finished product to Spain. They'll have to keep those poissons d'avril out of the watercourse though.

Good grief Chris, I thought that you came here to live in FRANCE. I love good english beer, guinnessss, well it's just another pasturised Britfizz init... (duck for christ's sake!!! Even most of the 'smilies' on the forum are hiding???)

What's wrong with a bottle or 2 of Jenlain, not too strong at 7.5%...

John.

I am afraid that I take the attitude that the French should stick to their wine producing with which they are experts and the British should stick to their beer making with which they are experts.

We had some German gusts a few years back and the chap was very proud of the fact that the Germans had several thousand different brews of beers. I pointed out that being so good the Brits only needed a couple of hundred. [:)]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]"We had some German gusts a few years back"

Yes, I sympathise. Lager gives me wind, too.
[/quote]

I don't know who it is but will they please stop moving the keys round  on my keyboard and whoever stole my E please put it back.

Now wouldn't that have been nice eh!

As it was All Fools Day yesterday I didn't dare send this to a couple of irish friends we have, I don't think I could have coped with their disappointment.

Now if it is true, could you repost today please.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I am afraid that I take the attitude that the French should stick to their wine producing with which they are experts and the British should stick to their beer making with which they are experts.

We had some German gusts a few years back and the chap was very proud of the fact that the Germans had several thousand different brews of beers. I pointed out that being so good the Brits only needed a couple of hundred. [:)]

[/quote]

The only problem with some of the BIG British beer producers is that they decided that they thought they could make more cash by pasturising what they called beer. That way it takes NO looking after. My son has 2 Gwinse (that Irish muddy stuff) pumps on his bar. One is called 'Super cooled' and is 4 degrees colder than the other. Power to the Guinness marketing people they now have 2 pumps on the bar, but a load of bolerics if you look at it. That stuff is pasturised too. It kills off the yeast so it lasts longer and as long as it's cold enough to kill the yuk tast it is drinkable, ish! Traditional English beer does not have to be served cold BECAUSE IT TASTES NICE!

I now live in France and although I am a huge fan of English beer I live here and have no wish to try to make this bit of France anything other than this bit of France. If that means waiting till I go back to my country of birth to drink the local beer then I will wait! Meanwhile I will drink the brew that suits where I live. French beer is a lighter taste than English and is better suited to the hot weather here in the sunny South of France!

Chris, if you look at how many small breweries there are in England you will probably find that there are more that a few hundred?

Cheers,

John

I must say nothing excites me like going into a nice country pub with different local brews and scrumpies.  We have one a few mile up the road and the prices change on the blackboard with supply and demand.  I also get rather excited in the beer Isle in Asda.

Funny thing John we were talking about this just the the day. It's the little things in life that make it nice and English beer, Fruit Gums, Fruit Pastals, Bisto and English teabags (Tesco preferably) make it all bearable. To not go to a place and not take part of the things you like is really not normal, people have been doing the same for centuries in different countries round the world. I like them so I get them it does not effect my 'living the French life'. I was a bit like "I live in France I will live the French life etc" for the first two years then I got a tin of baked beans (Heinz) and thats what made me wish for other things. I also have roast beef with roast potatoes and parsnips with loads of thick Bisto and to tell the truth I don't give a toss who disaproves so there.

I know there are a few more than a couple of hundred, my point was the UK does not have anywhere near as many brews as the Germans.