i.e. the declining wine market in France and globally due to 'new

world' varieties. Some, apparently, were selling up as the promised

subsidies were not forthcoming.

The long-term prognosis given climate change also as a factor seems

dire. If this is the case, what do you think will happen to property

prices?

Cheers !

Jan

I would say that with the bottom falling out of 'cave' wines, the new breed of local wines is great, well here in Aude at any rate. I think the futue is small producers, with a far lower yeald per hectare. France has been very slow in taking on the world marketing of wine, esp given the 'shame that is AOC'. I think they should take a leaf out of Spains wine industry and not release 'young wines' but mature them. I live in a village of 250 people and we have 4 wine producers, 2 of which make very fine wine. They sell for 30€ plus for good recent years. French wine is far from dead but a good few of the mass producers are now living on borrowed time.

The situation seems quite worrisome.  As I understand, the French government is taking steps to remedy this by re-marketing the local wines and creating bigger vineyards.  What worries me is that it might mean ripping out a lot of the wonderful small family vinyards that are so important to the region.  And I don't dare think how it will transform the locals' life, let alone the property prices... Hopefully, the outstanding beauty of the area will still be attracting tourists, come what may.

You might be interested in reading the article which was recommended on the Languedoc forum : http://www.beveragedaily.com/news/ng.asp?n=66757-french-wine-winemakers-wine

If anyone out there has any news on the trends in property prices in the region, I would love to know.

Anna

The small producers down here have been in decline for years: at least those who haven't been prepared to look forward and make some investment in quality. We bought some logs a few months ago from a guy who had been laid off by a local producer. "No money in wine now, so I thought I'd have a go at the wood".

Economics will ultimately rule. As has been said, there's a declining French market and though UK consumption is increasing, British buyers have the choice of the world's produce.

A local French friend is scathing. "They're all quite lazy: they prune during the Winter months, spray a bit in the Spring and then have a couple of weeks furious activity in September during the vendange. Not exactly hard work. They don't even vinify it themselves - it goes to the co-op."  A bit extreme maybe, but you can see his point.

Anyway, around here the vine leaves are well and truly out, the fruit will set in a month or two and I continue to do my best to help by relieving them of some of their wares!  In the interests of the local economy, of course.

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

A local French friend is scathing. "They're all quite lazy: they prune during the Winter months, spray a bit in the Spring and then have a couple of weeks furious activity in September during the vendange. Not exactly hard work. They don't even vinify it themselves - it goes to the co-op."  A bit extreme maybe, but you can see his point.

[/quote]

I'm not sure that is an informed opinion !

It is interesting to read the diary of a British vigneron here : http://journals.aol.co.uk/arthurjcook/DomainedePalejay

Peter

Peter .............

I wouldn't disagree, but it's an opinion nonetheless, from a local who has lived here all his life.

What I would repeat is that it's a bleak future for any who stand still in any walk of life and there's no doubt that there are many vignerons who have done just that. It's just the same with bread, meat, etc. Those who strive for quality and try to diversify their offering, will prosper. 

The website is interesting and that gentleman is clearly aiming for the above qualities, but as he would no doubt concur, it's a very competitive market. His place isn't far away, so perhaps I'll drop by and try some.