Residential development in Anduze, Gard

I was interested in a development of new houses being built at Anduze, advertised by aplaceinfrance.co.uk. There are 2 bedroom houses from EUR 144K and 3 bedroom houses from EUR 167K. It ticks all the boxes for us.

This development seemed to me exceptionally good value as most of the property in our price range in SE France seems to be apartments and even many of those are priced at over EUR 200K. I do not want an apartment, and my wife does not want anything in a rural location with no amenities within walking distance. However, having received the details from the agent it seems that all the houses that we would have chosen if we did decide to buy there are already reserved. I am therefore in a quandary, wondering if we may be passing up an opportunity to buy a house in that area that may not occur again within our budget. So I have a question for those who know the area. Is this development really unusually low priced, or, if we are patient, will there be other similar developments in the same price bracket where we can get in at the start and have our pick of plots?

Jules, lotissements are certainly poussing like champignons all over this area, so yes, you probably will have another chance.   But have you tried over on Peter Mpprh's Languedoc Page forum?    You might find more local knowledge there.   Those kind of prices would induce heart attacks in most Brit expats!   [:)]

http://the-languedoc-page.com/phpBB2/index.php

Thanks for the suggestion. I've visited the site, though not the forum. Languedoc is a bit outside the area we wanted to consider, as one of the boxes I wanted to tick is to be within a day trip visit of an elderly relative who lives in Lorgues, Var. Unfortunately that area almost certainly is well outside our budget, however most of my searching so far has been done using the key word "Provence".

[quote user="jules"] Unfortunately that area almost certainly is well outside our budget, however most of my searching so far has been done using the key word "Provence".
[/quote]

Try searching using specific town names within the area you want to be along with immobiliere (have I spelt that right?).

Yep, I know. But the agent had this listed so it came up when searching for properties in Provence, otherwise I'd probably never have seen it. Languedoc actually looks a very nice area from what I've seen on the Internet and we'll probably have to consider it if we can't find anything we like and can afford nearer to where my aunt lives.

[quote user="jules"] Languedoc is a bit outside the area we wanted to consider, as one of the boxes I wanted to tick is to be within a day trip visit of an elderly relative who lives in Lorgues, Var. Unfortunately that area almost certainly is well outside our budget, however most of my searching so far has been done using the key word "Provence".

[/quote]

Oh dear. I'm afraid you've been mislead by the notoriously poor grasp of geography shown by property agents.

Anduze is certainly in Languedoc. It is in the departement of Gard (postcode 30140), and located in the lower Cevennes, north of Montpellier and Nimes. I was there yesterday !

You can read a bit more about this property here:

http://www.explorimmoneuf.com/servlet/com.explorimmo.page.ficheprogramme.FicheProgrammeView?ANN_REF_INTERNE=8831463 &

http://www.nexity-logement.com/programme_07383_0076.php

They are quite small, and it is not clear if they have their own gardens.

They have shared facilities including a pool and therefore have service charges.

The development includes 93 appts and houses.

Anduze is subject to flooding. It is worth checking the exact location with the communal flood maps here :

http://www.gard.equipement.gouv.fr/eau_environnement/AtlasZI/CommuneG%E9n%E9rale.asp?NOM_COMMUNE=ANDUZE&CODE_POSTAL=30140

Peter

[quote user="Mpprh"]

Anduze is subject to flooding. It is worth checking the exact location with the communal flood maps here :

[/quote]

I didn't make much sense of the communal flood maps, but judging by the location shown on one of the French agents' maps, the development is located on a bit of land right next to the river. And one of my rules even when buying property in the UK is, never buy a house right beside a river...

Hi

call me an old cynic, if you wish, but the agents words "in the picturesque Gardon valley" ring bells?

You need to check out the exact location of the development, check the flood map, add a bit to the blue areas for (bad) luck, then decide.

Just worth saying :

It may not be floodable if it is on higher ground.

Even areas far from rivers, burnt brown in summer, can flood in autumn.

Checking my own area, the flood map areas don't extend as far as the water I've seen. Maybe there is some criteria  based on depth ......... maybe the maps are out of date.

Some flood history here :

http://orig.cg-gard.fr/ori/tab/inventaire/2006-03-30.5590369965/download

I used to live in Cumbria. Don't be put off by this talk of flooding in South France.

We get 2 or 3 very heavy downpours each year (often overnight), then back to sunshine.

It is better than grey drizzle. !

Peter

True. But then you could say where we are now in Cockermouth is "in the picturesque Derwent valley" and there has been flooding in the town, too, yet our house is about 40 or 50m above the highest flood level. Still, I downloaded Google Earth 4 and zoomed in on the exact location of this development and according to that it is at most 2m above the level it shows for the river. Even here the river can rise that much after a lot of heavy rain in the mountains, and we always think what a good job we didn't buy one of the houses by the river which a couple of years ago had it lapping at the front door. So this development is probably not for us. I won't be making a special viewing trip, anyway. But from what I have found out I really like the look of Anduze and the surrounding area, so I think we will go and visit some time soon.

Jules ...........

Just to say that I completely endorse everything said so far.  In short, be cautious about potential flood areas, but don't be paranoid about it.  We're in the Ceze (River) Valley, but on high ground - if we were ever to be flooded, everyone else would have a serious problem!  

If you're interested in the general area, then there's no substitute for taking a flight down (EMA - Nimes, or Liverpool - Nimes) and just touring the area, making as many agent contacts as you can.  It'll give you a good feel for the terrain, the towns, the property market, etc.  If of course you're able to make some appointments 'upfront', so much the better.  I'd be happy to pm some agent contacts to you if you want.