Easyjet buys GB Airways, will fly Gatwick - Montpellier ?

Easyjet buys GB Airways, will fly Gatwick - Montpellier ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7061246.stm

The report also says that BA will operate some of these routes themselves.

I'm not sure that they will attempt to do Montpellier. Once their monopoly on flights to this region was eroded (c 1999) they have consistently reduced the service.

But, a new foothold for Easyjet, presuming they keep the Montpellier route.

If so, maybe they will consider other routes. They are quite active in flights from Scotland, Newcastle, and Belfast (also EMA, Luton, Stansted, Liverpool and Bristol, but they won't want to compete with existing Ryanair routes ?).

Interesting times !

Peter

Very interesting, there's a lot of speculation in the south in regards to who will be flying where & with Ryanair dropping two days of flying into Carcassonne from the end of this month it could be interesting to see if they will move all their operations to Beziers where no doubt they're getting more hand outs to fly in there.  Who will take up the Carcassonne routes if that happens; I would like to see EasyJet here which might make financial sense as flying into Blagnac can't be cheap!  Or FlyBe?!

[quote user="joidevie"]Is there really talk of Ryanair quiting Carcassonne? I thought it was one of the most established routes??
[/quote]

Routes go out of favour for many reasons, never rely on especially the low cost carriers maintaining destinations.

Baz

For sure never rely on a route, but I was surprised at the suggestion about Carcassonne - 2 generally full planes in season a day, and now a cut back to 4 a week still pretty busy (albeit at the cheap fares) during the winter.. The local area has become quite interdependent with the influx of foreigners from UK, Ireland & the rest of Europe

I would have thought Beziers was a little close to Montpellier for comfort.. Maybe Perpignan would be the weaker destination..?

Audois, I'd be interested in what exactly has been 'speculated' ?

[quote user="raindog"]Does anyone know what's happened to Montpellier-East Midlands which was started in march this year? No sign of it on the RA site.

[/quote]

Ryanair have been flying to East Midlands from Nimes and Carcassonne. Haven't heard of flights from Montpellier ?

Peter

[quote user="Mpprh"][quote user="raindog"]Does anyone know what's happened to Montpellier-East Midlands which was started in march this year? No sign of it on the RA site.

[/quote]

Ryanair have been flying to East Midlands from Nimes and Carcassonne. Haven't heard of flights from Montpellier ?

Peter

[/quote]

cheers, i'll check out the Nimes flights.