Hey all you LR dwellers !!

A frustrated wanna be LR dweller here and would love to hear what is happening in the area .

Hows the weather

Did any of you visit Carcassonne Christmas markets what were they like ?

Did any one go to the Truffle markets was it a good turn out ?

Any thing of Interest in the local papers ?

Any new shops building going up ?

Did any one see any of the filming of Labyrinth ?

Has mac donalds finally left Carcassonne what has moved into the place if they have ?

Come on dish the goss ..... 

[quote user="Pads"]

Hows the weather

[/quote]

Quite warm for the time of year. No snow this year, about 18 deg on Sunday, warmer in direct sunlight, did think about eating outside but the occasinal puff of cold wind put us off. Certainly working in the garden for the last week has only needed a T shirt.

[quote user="Pads"]

Did any of you visit Carcassonne Christmas markets what were they like ?

Did any one go to the Truffle markets was it a good turn out ? 

[/quote]

Took the family but they, the fair, not the family, is the same every year. I like watching people making a fool of themselves trying to skate whilst I sip a coffee or beer. Can't answer for the truffles as we go hunting ourselves, for ourselves. Had a couple this year.

[quote user="Pads"]

Any thing of Interest in the local papers ?

[/quote]

Couple of stabbings, still a part of Carcassonne where the post office and social offices are closed and the Gendarmes only enter in groups of four or more and in a car or van. Carcassonne rugby club is doing well. you can catch up by reading the regional newspaper online. - http://www.lindependant.fr/tag/carcassonne/

Shops closing mainly rather than opening. Carcassonne feels the current economic problems the same as anywhere else in Europe.

Two bits of good news, McDonald's is still there and now there is a KFC as well and I must admit I have used the latter once or twice. You just get a 'urge' now and then.

I didn't like the book (my daughter could have written better when she was 12) so I wouldn't know if they were making a film and we certainly haven't seen anything but then I wouldn't be looking.

Ski slopes are having problems, not enough snow. Rivers low (Aude) and the placing of power cables underground (Instead of pylons) is progressing a pace. Public transport will continue to have a one off price of 1 Euro per ride till March 24th.

Another estate agent closed before Christmas, that three in one year just in Carcassonne but Limoux has only one left now when there used to be three and our local town has lost one. Prices have dropped quite a bit so it's a good time to buy with the Euro on the up as well.

Thats about it really, just the same as anywhere else really.

Sounds similar to here in l'Hérault, except that McDO and Subway HAVE closed, along with almost all the restaurants around Les Halles.

Have eaten out on café terraces twice in Jan

I live in the centre of an area such as you mention, but have not been followed by scary girls ...

Tell you what, I looked at the front page of the regional paper today and there are eight articles, one good and seven bad. The latter includes murders, shootings, robbery and demonstrations. It's getting a bit like those free newspapers we used to get once a week back in the UK, difficult to find any good news. Oh yes Bruce Springsteen is playing at Montpelier on June 19th if your a fan so that could be deemed to be either good or bad news depending on your personal taste.

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]The temperature in summer in LR can get uncomfortably hot, and it can be a*sefreezingly cold in winter. Que voulez-vous?[/quote]

That is just what I want .... I spend a lot of time there and love the contrast of weather ... Just not there at the moment and missing it ..... sat here for weeks in drizzel

After 20C on 1st January, the cold weather from N Europe has arrived.

Plenty of snow in the Cevennes, and eastward to the Italian border.

A few flurries and chilly temperatures on the coastal plains, but they are mainly back to sunshine now.

Interesting way to check out LR is to use google satellite view and Streetview and for current images search for Languedoc live webcams.

This one is in Sommieres : http://www.ot-sommieres.fr/camera.php

This one is the Millau bridge : http://images.webcams.travel/webcam/1202739647.jpg

Peter

Thanks for your reply Peter. I do spend a lot of time on google and other sites ...

I have a place north of carcassonne which due to work means I dont get out there as much as I would like ... So just looking for local gossip really ..... ;)