And then Rennes - Nantes - La Rochelle? Looks quite doable, and the roads are fairly good if I recall correctly. Second the owners' club suggestion - Brittany Ferries aren't cheap but they are luxurious by P&O standards, and members get 'cheap' or complimentary cabins depending on the time of sailing.

[quote]And then Rennes - Nantes - La Rochelle? Looks quite doable, and the roads are fairly good if I recall correctly. Second the owners' club suggestion - Brittany Ferries aren't cheap but they are luxurio...[/quote]

The most comfortable route is Portsmouth to St. Malo overnight. This year on Summer sailings, they had overnight crossings on the return journey as well . Not cheap but a lot less driving once in France. As Dick says there are certain rebates if you join the members club.

Route: St Malo, Rennes, Nantes, Niort (all with good by-passes) and on to the A10 all the way to Saintes, no need to go to la Rochelle. Mostly good, dual carraigeway and motorway.

Takes us about 5 hrs. to drive, including coffee and lunch stop. I can recommend the Aire de la Vendee services for a lunch stop en route.

You could fly from Bristol to Bordeaux (with Flybe) but then of course you would need to hire a car in France.

Gill

If you are prepared to spend more on the ferry crossing (i.e. Brittany Ferries rather than a shorter and cheaper crossing) then Plymouth to Roscoff would be your closest route. The downside is that it's further to drive once you arrive in France and in the end it's all a question of "Swings and Roundabouts"

Gill