I seem to remember hearing that off the roll fabric is very expensive and difficult to find in France.  Does anyone know of any good outlets for traditional french designs in this neck of the woods.  I'm thinking of the pastoral scenes depicting maidens, shepherds etc.

Thanks

Diana

There is a furniture fabric shop across the car park from Leroy Merlin in St Brieuc isn't there? I've been (dragged) in there a few times, but I kind of switch off as I walk through the door....... Tina would be able to tell you exactly what they have, but she's stopping at Tesco's in Worcester at the moment....

Sorry about that.  Yes, it is Myrtille and they have a shop at Chanterpie in Rennes.  They are a chain so if you don't live near Rennes, you could search for them in the pages jeune under tissu.

The one in St Brieuc is Self Tissu.  Was there yesterday.  They have the toile de jouy.  Saw it in pink but not blue.  Sometimes black available.  Don't forget that it is usually 2,40 wide.

Where are you near?  Self Tissu are in Vannes too.

[quote]Sorry about that. Yes, it is Myrtille and they have a shop at Chanterpie in Rennes. They are a chain so if you don't live near Rennes, you could search for them in the pages jeune under tissu. The ...[/quote]

Alexis

We are about 30 miles south of Cherbourg which is quite a way but could combine it with some other visits.

Thanks

Diana

Hi............try the following website. There is one in Caen - it is superb, every sort of fabric you could wish for. Just don't ask me how to get there - I have only been once. It is somewhere near Mondeville, I think - there is probably a map on the website, I didn't look!

http://www.mondialtissus.com/

Regards

Chris

PS. I have now looked at the website and it doesn't mention Caen, but the link to the website was in Pages Jaune by the address - curious!!

Mondial Tissus
5 r Robert Schumann 14120 Mondeville    .02 31 83 06 50

There is a wonderful fabric shop just outside Avranches on the Granville road. I can give more detailed directions if anyone wants them. Like an aladdins cave for both dress and furnishing makers. Lots of fabric cut into lengths too, ideal for patchworkers.

Hereford wife

Directions for fabric shop outside Avranches:

If you are coming from Avranches take road towards Granville:

Take main road thru Marcey les Greves (just outside Avranches). The shop "La Foire aux Tissus" is on the right just as the village ends, Car park in front or round the side. Just after the shop is a huge ad for Pavillons Montois!

From the Granville direction as you approach Marcey les Greves (last village before Avranches) it will be on your left just as village begins.

From memory it is shut on Monday morning. The shop looks very scruffy from outside - don't be put off! They buy ends of lines, but have lots of furnishing fabric on rolls too. Just ask a member of staff to cut rolls for you, or ribbon, tape etc. They have wonderful collection of zips, ribbon etc and every fabric from floaty to heavy. I have to be dragged out on each visit.

Mrs hereford

Well, no points for guessing where I’m off to after Avranches market tomorrow.

There’s a fabric shop in Vire which has a fair selection of furnishing and dress fabrics and is adequately priced – for France. Threemax Tissues – which is on Avenue de Bischwiler (sp may be inaccurate) the same road as – and near to – Gemo, Intersport and the new Guy Degrennes factory shop (which while still expensive has some excellent reductions of about 50 – 60%… but I’m digressing from fabrics to plates.)

Also if anyone is as far down as Mayenne, there’s Toiles de Mayenne –

TOILES DE MAYENNE

Fontaine-Daniel - BP 21

53101 Mayenne Cedex

http://www.toiles-de-mayenne.com/default.htm

which has an excellent shop with some well-priced remnants and ends of lines. It’s in a beautifully converted stone building with some good layouts showing how the fabrics work together. Having just wandered round the website I see there’s also a T-de-M shop just outside Avranches

ST-QUENTIN-SUR-LE-HOME (50220)

Zone de la Baie

51, rue des Estuaires

But not having been there (also tomorrow perhaps) I don’t know how it compares to the Mayenne factory / shop.

While on the subject of factory shops, we went to the Haras du Pin in St Lo a few weeks ago and there’s a factory shop with very well-priced clothes, shoes, etc opposite the entrance. A sort of TKMaxx but not so extensive and the clothes are better displayed. Prices were very good though. Kickers shoes, for eg, for which I paid £60 in the UK were on sale at E20. And I am *so* generous for sharing this shop info!

Carole

I have just checked out the web site for Toiles de Mayenne, what an Aladin's cave, it certainly looks worth a visit.  I particulary liked the way by looking at the site you could learn the vocabulary for furnishing terms.  I had been thinking of buying a 'les paravents' but had no idea how to ask for one in French and now I do.

Is Avranches market on a Saturday and where in the town is it.

Thanks

Diana

Saturday morning.  It is in the old town.  Difficult to park but I leave the car at the Outlaws.  You could always leave the car at the Jardin de Plants and walk into town.

Don't let the old ladies force you to buy a bunch of flowers ..