How's this going to work?

John Brown

Taken from the offical document,

"The Spending Round announces that from 2015-16 Winter Fuel Payments will
no longer be payable to individuals who live in countries with an average winter
temperature higher than the warmest region of the UK. Winter fuel payments exist to
support pensioners with the cost of heating their homes in the winter. A recent European Court
judgement means that more people living in Europe can now claim a Winter Fuel Payment. This
has increased the cost of paying Winter Fuel Payments outside of the UK by around £30 million
a year. The Government will legislate for this change in this Parliament. This change is expected
broadly to offset the cost of the European Court judgement, and a full costing will be confirmed
at the Autumn Statement"

They have simply published a list of the countries that will not qualify.

"This will affect those living in a European country with an average winter temperature higher than the UK.

Expats in seven countries will lose the payment. They are: Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal and Spain"

So if you live in Dover you get it

If you live in Calais you don't

If you live in Sicily you do get it.

If that's correct, and I've no reason to doubt you.

How does "This change is expected broadly to offset......." work when there's going to be many more losers than the 300,000 ( 30million / 100 each) that gained from the European Ruling.

"Fairness" is used again and again as a sub heading thoughout the Document but maybe Ex-pats don't matter

Sorry Betty, I searched for Winter Fuel Allowance etc but not just WFA

Feel better for my rant anyway.

Don't need or want the money. After spending some of it on loose women and drink I would probably squander the rest anyway

Still sounds a bit like confiscation rather than addressing a bad bit of legislation to me