I am a new subscriber to Livingfrance and new to this forum. Although I have been associated with France for 20 plus years owning properties in Provence in the past but now have relocated to rural Picardie (having been driven out of the south by the steady spread of petty crime to support drug habits and the all devouring tourist), I have not as yet lived for any meaningful length of time in France. Can anyone living in the North give me some idea as to the relative cost of living compared with G.B?  Many thanks.

We have had a holiday home in rural Picardie for 14 years now, but moved here permenantly one year ago.  We are still juggling our budget a bit, but the one thing which has cost more than we thought was wood for our wood burners.  It has been a particularly bad winter, not the norm even for Picardie, and we have used far more wood than we had anticipated. 

There is another forum running at the moment with costs of living in France, and I would just amplify what others are saying, it does depend on your property size, method of heating, lifestyle etc.

Congratulations on choosing Picardie, its lovely. 

• 1 month later...

Having lived in Picardy for twelve years and now being in exile in Kent (only temporary. . another 12 months to go and counting!) I think the UK wins for a marginally cheaper cost of living - however, it is all relative as there is no way we can afford to buy a property in the UK, yet in France we can live quite comfortably in our (no mortgage) farmhouse  (with the added bonus of space between us and the neighbours!) - I know which I prefer! I would rather be without the convienience of the UK and live more frugally, but happily in France. I always underestimate how much wood we need for the winter! So that always comes as a shock by January!

Maybe we should start a Picardy fanclub?! On the otherhand, maybe it's best to keep it quiet?!!

Hi Kiera,

We found Kent marginally more expensive than here in Picardie having  lived in Kent for 25 years.   Probably because of lifestyle more than anything, we now grow our own fruit and veg, run only one car and no longer have all the work related expenses such as lunches, clothes etc. and the children are now independent.  The difference is not vast but the price of property and not having a mortgage makes a difference.

Not sure about a Picardie fan club, might encourage to many to visit, or are we just being selfish wanting to keep this wonderful department to ourselves? 

regards

We moved from London to the Pas de Calais and found everything much cheaper.   Exceptions are heating, both wood, as others have previously mentioned, electricity, and gas because we have to buy bottles; and clothes (if you want smart work ones).   I am really shocked whenever I go back to London at how expensive everything is.  I reckon that what I buy for a euro in France I have to pay a pound for there.

I too love this much under-rated area, particularly at this time of year when it is like a green heaven.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

We  are moving to the Hesdin area (Pas De Calais 62) a bit North of you in Picardie.

We have been quoted €35 cube of wood delivered to the gate, seems a better deal than further South.

Jim and Lily

Hi

35 euros for a metric cube?  If it is a metric cube that is a very good price, we pay around 38/40 euros a stair as our French neighbours call it, another name for a metric cube, although have to admit with the weather being so wonderful we have not been thinking much about wood, but it is a good time to get stocked up for the winter when demand is high.

regards

We have lived here since last September. I agree with what other people have said. Supermarket shopping is definitely cheaper and the quality of the fruit, veg and meat always seems a lot better in France compared to the UK.

You have to bear in mind too that medical costs will be more, everything is not free like it is in the UK, though everyone I know is very impressed with the hospitals, speedy treatment etc., in France.

I agree though, that the cost of heating in the winter is the most costly item, I was quite surprised at how much wood we had to buy, though we have two wood burning stoves and no central heating. Our electricity costs were quite high too if we used the electric fan heater, so next winter we will find an alternative cheaper option to that.

We live in Normandy near St. Lo. The main thing for us however, is the quality of life, which is so much nicer than the UK - you can't really put a price on that can you.

Judy

Hi ruedeleglise

Takes a long time to stack 6 to 8 stairs, we usually do it over a few days, or even better and a bit more crafty  wait till we have some family come for a visit, puts the kids to good use, we tell them its much cheaper than the gym !!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you then cut to size or do you have the wood delivered ready for the fire?   We are getting to be dab hands with the chain saw, safety goggles and thick gloves, not a pretty sight.

regards

Annie

Hi ruedeleglise

Takes a long time to stack 6 to 8 stairs, we usually do it over a few days, or even better and a bit more crafty  wait till we have some family come for a visit, puts the kids to good use, we tell them its much cheaper than the gym !!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you then cut to size or do you have the wood delivered ready for the fire?   We are getting to be dab hands with the chain saw, safety goggles and thick gloves, not a pretty sight.

regards

Annie