We are going over to Normandy again sometime next week...Last time we visited (week ending 25th September) the autoroute seemed to be nearing completion.

Any news? Has it...or part of it...opened to traffic? If so, it will alter the route we take, and maybe influence the choice of ferry too.

I'm going to Boulogne the first week in November. My normal route from the Vendee is Nantes, Rennes, Avranches, Caen etc. but I thought I'd give the new A28 a try. I can see from my 2004 Michelin road atlas where the A28 meets the A13 near Bourg-Achard but can anyone who goes this way regularly tell me the best route from there to the A29?

Benjamin

Thanks Rasputin and Brian. By pointing me at Orbec are you suggesting that I join the A13 near Pont-l'Eveque and continue across the Pont de Normandie or have I confused you by putting Caen etc. when the "etc." was supposed to mean "and then continue on to Boulogne"?

I've looked at both Michelin and the AA's route planner and, of course, they can only give directions to get to the other side of Rouen using the existing N138/A13 route whereas the run through Rouen looks a nightmare on my map. I was wondering if anyone had experience of using the D313/D913/D940 and joining the A29 to the north east of Yvetot, or indeed any other way of bypassing the run through the centre of Rouen.

Benjamin

[quote]Thanks Rasputin and Brian. By pointing me at Orbec are you suggesting that I join the A13 near Pont-l'Eveque and continue across the Pont de Normandie or have I confused you by putting Caen etc. when ...[/quote]

Hi I travel the N138/A402 from Gace then join the A13 and trvel thro Rouen following the signs for Calais, after the tunnel you join the A28 Autoroute,

as I understand it the the section from Gace to Rouen (A28) joins the A13 around junction 25 and you still need to travel thro Rouen as before to join the old section of the A28 th Calais (via the A16)

• 2 weeks later...

These are actually between Bernay and Elbeuf.

It cuts down some time. But Rouen is a bit of a pain.

I can actually see a bit of a stretch of this motorway from my house. (in a gap in the forest 1km away.)  It hasn't affected my house too much....no light pollution...but sometimes I hear the thrumming noise from it and things don't have that unspoilt quality totally anymore.

Its worth bearing in mind, when we zip along motorways to our own houses....that it is always at a cost to someone else. I know of some homes whose whole ambiance and character have been lost to this road.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Friends

We have a house in 33 and travel from the NE of England.  We have given up on Brittany Ferries as too expensive (lack of competition methinks!) and now that we have three kids (twins born 5 weeks ago) the cabins are too small.  Anyway on our last few trips we have crossed Dover Calais and driven down to Rouen and stayed overnight there.  Then we have headed for Chartres to join the A10.  In my 2005 atlas for France, I notice that the A28 is due for completion between Rouen and Tours early in 2006.  I also notice from various other postings that the road will be under a number of providers.  Without visiting all their separate sites and trying to work it out, can anyone out there please let me know if I can now drive all the way from Rouen to Tours on the new autoroute?

If not yet finished, how far can I get down from Rouen before the autoroute runs out?  And has anyone seen a final completion date for this full stretch?

Cheers 

Jess