We live south of St Lo and I am afraid my geography is not too good.  How far is Carteret or Barnville Carteret from you or even Flaminville.

At the 'carterets' the Marine (is it the Marine) was good last time I was there.  As to Flaminville and yes I know its near the nuclear power station but I love the restaurant on the coast there but I have forgotten the name is it the Semaphore?  She is either Italian or Spanish and front of house he is French from the South West and the influence shows.

A while ago when we were staying in that area we were recommended to go to Portbail, to a place near the ferry, over the bridge (Le Cabestan?). From the outside it looked unprepossessing, like a yacht club or similar, but the food was good. Subsequently we went to the other one in Portbail (looks like a pub) which was pretty good too. Of course it may have all changed now, but half the fun is finding and checking these places.

Will - you are right, the Portbail restaurant is lovely, in fact I celebrated my birthday their earlier the year. Much to my surprise/embarrassment a cake with candles was produced, and everyone sang . . .  (I'm hoping it was 'Happy Birthday' . . . . . ) [:$]. Thanks for this.

Llwyncelyn - living in South Dorset, I've got used to the idea of the power station!! I'd forgotten the Semaphore but have heard of it before. Many thanks for the reminder. More in your neck of the woods, we have been to the Manoir de la Drome at Balleroy - fantastic but a bit pricey, one of those for a treat perhaps? Thanks.

Thanks for that bit of info alnmike, I've driven past the Manoir at Balleroy several times and thought that it looks very nice (but even LOOKS pricey).  Perhaps we'll give it a try now that we've had a recommendation (once all the guests have gone).

Hi, have you tried the La Fiére opposite the parachute memorial on the way to Ste Mére Eglise or the John Steele in Ste Mére Eglise both are well worth a try, La Fiére is English owned, however they do not do English food as such, they have a really nice continental menu and they are open 7 days a week.

Another place we enjoyed was Manoir de l'Acherie at St Cecile (just outside Villedieu, behind the President factory)  Lovely building.  We thought the starters were a little disappointing (if you're not a lover of terrine) but we went in winter and they had some fantastic hare, pheasant and rabbit dishes. Very reasonable too.

Seen the sign many times but never ventured in!  As to Villedieu we still go often to the Fruitier its reliable but of course with very little change in the menus.  Still you know that you are going to be looked after.  Totally differing stance but we think that the quality and standard at the Holly Tree is now on the up and up

In the Portbail/Carteret/Flamanville area, as well as the Cabestan at Portbail we'd recommend l'Anse de Sciotot, at Sciotot. We eat there regularly and have never been disappointed. It's in an attractive setting overlooking the beautiful Sciotot bay and if you're very lucky you might, as we once did, see dolphins playing out to sea.

Alternatively if you just want moules frites, the restaurant in the sort of portakabin on the quayside at Dielette, just up the coast, is almost invariably jammed with knowledgeable locals! Well worth a visit for a cheap lunch.

Incidentally the pub-like restaurant at Portbail previously mentioned is the Auberge des Vieux Pecheurs.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a little far for you but, if you are not vegetarian, is very well worth the visit. Chez Francois is a delightful little restaurant in Genets on the coast road a few kms north of Avranches. All meat is cooked on an oak fire in the restaurant, the ambience is arty and personal and the food is simple but very well done. You will need to make reservations - 02.33.70.83.98

http://www.chezfrancois.fr/

It's our favourite place!