Thinking of moving to the Suisse Normande

Hi Guys

I've just stumbled across this forum and wow! it's a mine of information.

Basically, we (me, OH and 8 year old daughter) are thinking of buying a property in the Suisse Normande, just outside Pont D'Ouilly.   The plan is to buy now and use as a holiday home and then make the move permanent in about 2 years time.

Does anyone know if the French are OK with the English in this area, if many English have settled there and last but not least if the schools are OK?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Blisters, we have had a holiday home in Suisse Normande since 2003. It is a great area, near the ports and with plenty to do. (Sight Seeing, Walking, Canoeing, Climbing, Swimming in rivers or local pools etc.)  The locals are very welcoming although quite a few English have settled in the area (there are quite a lot of businesses owned by English people). From what I have learned from my French and English neighbours, the schools are very good. I will ask a friend of mine to answer your topic more in depth as she has settled in Suisse Normande permanently. Welcome in Suisse Normande!

We are moving into our house in the Suisse Normande tomorrow!!!![:D]

Very friendly to the English, Ameriacns, Irish and Dutch too.!!

Suggest you contact the Estate Agents Remis Seris in Flers   e-mail ; [email protected]    and ask for  Laetitya Gosselin to help you find somewhere. She has very basic English but we couldn't have found a better Agent.  She lives locally and knows the area well, and didn't waste our time.She also went through the documents until we understood them thoroughly. Our house was also for sale through another agent at about 3,000E more.

Not to mention any names, but there is one agent locally who I wouldn't touch with a barge pole! ( and it would probably be your first port of call due to it's convenient location)

Good luck and happy hunting!!

We have lived here (just outside Pont d'Ouilly) permanently for two years, having had the house as a holiday home before that; we have found local people very welcoming and friendly. You do need to speak French as there is very little English spoken and I think that if you needed work then employement prospects would not be good in the area. We tend to know mostly other retired people, but I would guess that there are two or three lots of English in most villages and more in some. My impression is that there are not many in Pont d'Ouilly itself, but I may be wrong; you see and hear quite a lot of English in the summer, but very rarely in winter. Benefits are wonderful countryside, peace and quiet, lack of traffic etc. Possible downside is that it is very quiet in the winter and it feels like nothing happens for several months; we enjoy this (most of the time), but  I know that some people find it difficult. Can't comment on the quality of educational provision, but the PTA in Pont d'Ouilly seems to have quite a lot of activities that are reported in the local paper.

It is a lovely place to live and there are lots of good houses for sale at a very reasonable price. I wish you luck in your search.

regards

Lisa