A new world war two site is opening on 3 April 2007 just outside Grandcamp Maisy. I have been shown around the site and found it absolutely fascinating. This is part of the text taken from his website.

Gary Sterne came across the buried 40 acre site a few years ago whilst studying a wartime officer's map of the area marked 'Area of High Resistance'. "Not knowing where I was going or what I was looking for, I continued walking across the fields until to my amazement I found I was standing on concrete. I followed the concrete to the edge of the tree line and discovered a bunker entrance... then a tunnel, an office, store rooms, headquarters buildings, radio rooms, bunkers … and most importantly mounts for 155mm cannons," he recalled.

Thus began a four year project to buy the land from its various owners, and to uncover the largely untouched bunkers and tunnels. After the war it had been buried beneath a metre of top soil and farmed. The virtually impenetrable Normandy hedgerows had covered the evidence and the site, which had housed hundreds of German soldiers, was forgotten by the locals and ignored or overlooked by historians. “After studying the RAF reconnaissance photographs it was clear that the site was of major importance - it was not just another little gun battery but a major complex - a similar size to that at Pointe du Hoc but virtually undamaged."

More information can be found on www.maisybattery.com

• 7 months later...

Last week, Gary Sterne took some time explaining how he found the site and what his search for answers revealed.  I think most of his technical detail about the disparity of gun sizes at Pointe du Hoc and his curiousity over why the Battery was buried in the first place, likely went unappreciated by our group from Canada.  It did hit home with me.  It made sense that this emplacement was one of the major destructive forces that held Omaha Beach hostage for too long.   I meet with a Canadian war historian next week and will pass along Gary's findings.  I was amazed that the local tourist bureau had no information on Maisy Battery and were positive in their denial both of its existance as well as its significance.   I think I'm hooked on this mystery.     

Vets Kid, Canada.  Nov. 11, 2007

I visited Maisy Battery in July this year, and in comparison to most D Day museums it was very 'basic' - but this does not detract from its appeal, quite the opposite in fact. The site is as excavated without any fancy light displays or sound, just the basic information describing what you can see. As a result you get more of a feel for the period and what the soldiers of both sides went through.

I had a chat with the (British) lady on the reception (caravan) who explained that the chap who found the site just wanted the  US Rangers to be recognised for their achievements in their assault of this heavily defended stronghold. This is not a moneymaking exercise for Gary Sterne, more of a labour of love. The museum is under continual development with more areas being opened to the public as and when possible.

If you are in the area then I would strongly recommend  a visit.

Dean.

• 1 month later...
I say well done to Gary in getting his operation running!    My husband would have been delighted to have such a thing on our land, indeed he has scoured it searching for any relics and discovered nothing more than broken rusted shutter hinges, a couple of bent horseshoes and a handful of ancient harrow tines!   Not really what he had hoped for in buying a home in Normandy.   Never mind.............   [:)] 

It was exciting when our digger driver uncovered a cache of five hundred or so tracer rounds... gently oozing phosphorous (or whatever). [blink]

It is the only time I have ever seen any French worker display any awareness of health & safety... ie, he immediately stopped digging.

Our Maire was considerably more blasé though - they were stored carefully in a box in a closed shed some way from the house. The Maire turned up to see what we'd found, chucked the box in the back of his car and with a cheery wave, drove off. [:-))]

Thanks for the Timewatch info - we'll definitely... watch.