repairing a electric planer..... help!!!!

We have an electric planer.....SO USEFUL!!! purchased in GB which has suddenly stopped working....would be grateful if anybody could suggest where we could get it repaired???? We live near to Gorron ( northern Mayenne)  Thanks in anticipation!!!!! Tazara

Assuming you mean a hand planer and not a planer/thicknesser.

Depends what make it is. Normally you chuck 'em away and get a new one, but if it's a Festool or similar it might be worthwhile trying to get a main dealer to repair it. You can get a Ryobi from Axminster for less than £50, and even a De Walt will only set you back £150 (used my son's recently, and it's good). Mine are Bosch, but I don't often use them, mostly I use hand planes now.

Maybe a stupid question but..... does it still have a UK fused plug and being used via an adaptor to a French socket? If so, have you checked the fuse?

If its got a French plug please ignore the above.

ps. I'm not "talking down" to you but sometimes (occasionally) people forget to check the simple things.  [I]

If the motor will not run atall as opposed to for instance impossible to adjust the blades then I would try swopping the on off switch. Most decent quinquleries willstock something that can be made to fit.

Also try Google.fr and the maker's name and/or model number.

Apart from the obvious things like fuses etc that have already been mentioned, before you dismantle it you could squirt a bit of WD40 in and around the switch mecanism ( make sure it is unplugged first!), and then operate the switch a few times as it may just be a dirty contact.

Otherwise I think it could be the carbon brushes that you will find inside the casing . All good brands will have spares available and brushes are a common item.