What can people tell me about it? I find northern France quite beautiful, and I want to explore the area, but can't seem to find much on the internet about Lille in particular that's useful. I've been told that it's partially a college town, which is something that I adore (and why I want to go there specifically).

I'm a student, so if there are any hostels in the area, it would be great to know.

And in case I decide to stay there in the long term (long term being a year at most, I like to move around a lot), it would be really helpful if someone can tell me where I can rent a place, how much it costs in average, whether there are any student settlements in the area, etc. I don't want to go there knowing absolutely nothing about how things work and be treated like a tourist.

Suggestions about jobs available and where to look for them would also be very welcome.

Also, anyone here who's actually from Lille? What are your personal opinions about the place? Do you love/hate it? Why?

And, of course, the most important question of all: What is there to do for fun?

All help would be loved and appreciated.

This forum gets a lot of traffic, but I've a feeling that its members may not be of much use for your particular enquiry.

There are some members in Northern France but the majority of active posters seem to be in Normandy and south west and central France. Many are also in mid-life or are retired, their idea of fun may not coincide with yours.

Hi

Why don't you contact the University, local Tourist Office etc. to try and get some information.

As previously posted the vast majority of people on the forum are in the older age group so would be looking for different things from you re living in France.

Good luck.

WendyG

Hi Dystopia,

I have been to Lille several times, as a tourist, and can say that the historic centre is really beautiful - with less picturesque outskirts that are like those of any major industrial city.

I can't tell you much about student life, but I have sent you a private message with a link that might help.

Angela