Hello,

I want to get away from things in the UK this Christmas and spend some me time as things are very stressful at home.

I had an idea of spending Christmas in France, particularly Arras. Staying in an Ibis/Campanile type hotel and eating in bars/restaurants. Probably between the dates of 23-26 December. Does France close down over the Christmas period or wil I still be able to find somewhere to eat and sleep?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.

Apparently the Christmas market in Arras is considered to be one of the very best .. selling everything festive (or not) plus really good food too ☺

It's open every day of your stay except Xmas day.

If you look up the Office of Tourism site you might find details of hotels.

Edit : bizarrely enough, if you going alone then going directly to the Ibis's own site - centre ville - gives the cheapest price ☺

I have never been to Arras but it appears to have beautiful buildings and comes very much alive at Xmas .. certainly seems a nifty place close to the UK.

Bound to be some restos open, even the the resto in our tiny village is open.

As you are there  a couple of days in advance, you could have a scout round and book your place.  The menu is likely to be a Christmas special and it's best to reserve in advance to be certain.

Happy noshing!

Arras indeed does have a beautiful town centre, and that Ibis off the smaller square is perfectly placed.

Maybe check with the tourist office what eateries will be open on Christmas Day and New Year's Day; I fear there may not be many. You might have most luck with non-French ones. And, for Christmas and New Year's Eve, you should be sure to reserve in advance, as restaurants are likely to be fully booked.

If your Ibis room has a fridge (can't remember if they do), you could lay in some provisions to ward off starvation in case of restos being closed.

If you are thinking of visiting battlefield museums, again check their opening details because in my experience most of them close for around a month in Dec/Jan.

You shock me mint, why is the restaurant open on the 25th??

I know that they are in proper tourist spots, ie ? ski resorts, but I wouldn't count on one even in the big towns where I lived.

And i understand them not opening, after the food orgy of the reveillon on the 24th which can go on until soup for breakfast.

I don't blame the OP for wondering, and I would go on the Pages Jaunes and simply call a few to see what the score is.