Timber sprayers 71

I cannot help but have an experience I should warn you about.

Some time ago I was cold called by a timber treatment company and as my roof needs some preventative treatment I said yes (as I may or may not do it myself). I had the impression that the people who called round were “soon to be appearing on Watchdog”.

They first tried to convince me my roof was falling down (which I told them it was not and I knew that). They then tried to scare me by showing me loads of pictures of wood eating bugs – which I told them were very nice and how glad I was that I did not have any. They then measured, managed to get 2+2 to equal 25 and costed it on that basis. When I said no, they did the “we are in the area”, “economy of scale”, etc. to which I also said no. they then called their boss to see if they could move on the price, etc. When I then said there was no way on this earth I was making any decision about 5000€ worth of work there and then they immediately packed-up and left.

I cannot accuse them of being cowboys or anything but they seem to be using the same sales technique as is famed in the UK for selling driveways and new kitchens to the elderly. Their pricing was totally mad and excessive – the sort of place that keeps trying until eventually they find somebody who says yes.

Just watch, take references, get several quotes. Maybe ask a local roofing artisan if they can recommend anybody.

Ian

• 2 years later...