Advice on places to visit please!

Hi all.

We only bought our tiny house in Correze in May, and our second trip down there is coming up this weekend. Can anyone recommend any days out/places to visit?! We're going with my in-laws, (both of whom are very interested in history)...I know I've left it a bit late to ask, and I've no doubt that as our visits increase we'll pick up on places of interest ourselves, but any help or recommendations would be gratefully received!

Pete  

Would agree with Kent we went this summer having meant to go on a number of occassions. Even reading up on net before didnt stop me being amazed by the sheer scale of it.

Not 'enjoyable' but something every one should see, certainly a must for those interested in history.

Bob

If by history you also mean areas other than the second world war their are countless beautiful villages and towns in the area just visit a local tourist office. They usually have hundreds of attractions in each area; in addition just type Limosin  on one of the search engines and you should get info on local attractions

If you are in Egletons then these suggestions may be places that you already know, but I will assume nothing.

Drive North to Treignac.  Nice drive and very pretty town, ranked as one of the most beutiful towns in France.

From there you could drive west towards Masseret which is another very nice drive - check out the view form the tower at Masseret, if you go into the tower hotel they will let you have the key so that you can get a view from the top of the tower (which is in fact the village water tower built about 40 years ago and not the last remains of an ancient Chateau)

From there drive down to Uzerche.  A really stunning medieval town with ooodles of history.  Not yet very touristy as until the A20 opened it was a very bad traffic bottleneck.  Now it is fab.

All very reachable from Chez Vous.  Enjoy

Stephen (19) Salon la Tour

(where Violet Zabo was arrested - Womon SOE operative arrested on the same day as the Oradour attrocity - film of "Carve Her Name with Pride" with Virginia McKenna)

Pete,

Certainly Oradour-sur-Glane is a definite place to visit, but a fair distance if you are only there for the weekend. www.oradour.org

Here are a few more suggestions:

Lac de Vassiviere - www.vassiviere.com

Beaulieu sur Dordogne -  www.beaulieu-sur-dordogne.fr

Chateau de Turenne - www.chateau-turenne.com

But the real beauty of France is that you set out for one place and end up finding loads of other places on the way.

Have a good time

Stephen,

I couldn't agree more about Uzerche. We have spent hours in traffic jams into and out of this place. It was a nightmare when we were towing a caravan to climb the hills if we got stuck behind a lorry.

Now it is lovely. We visited last year and we were amazed at what we found behind the main N20.

Indeed.

Uzerche is a very little known and a real gem.  There is a local saying that he who has a House in Uzerche has a Castle in Limousin.  It is also known as the "Perle du Limousin".  No arguements there from me.

If I was looking to invest in property, which I am not, as I have quite enough to be going on with, I would serouiusly look at Uzerche.  It is cheap, and if it was on the Dordogne 40 miles away it would be heaving with tourists and very expensive.

There is a very nice site put together by an Uzerchois at

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cbo/

There is a cracking simple restaurant overlooking the deep river valley just as you start going into the one way narow road going up into the old town.  Try the "regional menu". 15€ and worth every penny.

A really nice place

Stephen (19)

Hi, we have found the Green Michelin Guide to 'Berry, Limousin' very useful in detailing the history/geography of the area and there are some really useful suggestions for visits and excursions - I believe it is now available in English as well as French!

Motard