Gas Cookers.

We are looking to replace an old gas cooker we inherited. It is the type with the little cupboard

on the side to hold the gas bottle.

Any help on where we can purchase one in the Limousin  or surrounding area.

Thanks. Dolly 87.

When wifey decided she wanted a range cooker, these were all we could find. She kept thinking she'd found what she wanted, but when she opened up the door to the second oven, lo and behold it was a space for a gas bottle.

Everywhere had them from Auchan to Briconauts.

Alcazar

Slightly off track here but still sort of related

We brought our cooker over with us from UK (electric oven and gas hob) 2 years ago and have finally just received a replacement LPG converter kit from manufacterer.  We replaced the bits and now all we need is to buy the gas!!

Which bottle/type do we need

Thanks

As a general rule, if the gas bottle is to be sited inside, e.g. in a kitchen cupboard or in one of those cookers with gas bottle storage, you need butane. If, for safety reasons, you want the bottles to be outside the house, you need propane, as butane will freeze in winter temperatures. The cooker jets are the same for either type of bottled gas. Get the regulator (detendeur) to suit your bottles, and a new flexible tube. The tubes are marked with a 'replace by' date and must be renewed regularly.

Probably due to the limitations of French electrical and gas supplies, double ovens and range cookers as known in Britain are relatively rare in France. Most ranges seem to be solid fuel or oil fired, often running radiators too, like a Rayburn. As far as electric ranges are concerned Aga is an exception, as rather than using a high current for short periods, an Aga is on all the time and retains its heat, meaning that it can run from a standard socket, believe it or not. However because it is on constantly, consumption is high, and gas Agas (at least bottled gas ones) are totally impractical in France.

Shops like Conforama, But etc have range-style cookers (as well as those that look like ranges but include a gas bottle cupboard), however these tend to have one big oven rather than two or more smaller ones.

I think if I was heard to call Julie 'wifey' I would be found dead in a ditch having first had the computer inserted...

We bought our cooker in But (Vire) - not range-style, but the bottle cupboard means that the burners are spread out over a bigger area, which is nice.

[quote]Ah! I too am after a double oven... and keep finding empty holes for gas bottles... where did you get your's from in the end?[/quote]

I'm also trying to find a double oven, and was about ready to give up until I came across this website http://www.promotions-fr.com/article__08_Cuisson_Cuisiniere_listeproduit.html

They feature hundreds of different models of cooker, and there are a few double ovens there too. They also deliver

I haven't ordered anything yet, so don't know how reliable they are as a company, but I'm seriously thinking of giving them a try.

Thanks for all you help we have been and done it gas bottle from the local garage no contract charge pay just for the gas, got the pipe and clips from local hardware store and regulator from a brico no problems and now have a fully working cooker for the first time in 2 years

Ah!  I too am after a double oven... and keep finding empty holes for gas bottles... where did you get your's from in the end?

After searching fruitlessly, finding VERY expensive ones and not many on the french sites on the net, we............ (sssssh, don't tell people on here),..................brought one from the UK.

It's a Stoves/Newhome, LPG hob burners, (8 of them, with griddle and electric grill, fan oven and conventional oven. It also has a galss lid.

Cost us a LOT less than buying from Comet, Currys etc, and about a quarter of what French ones were going for.

Alcazar