Kennels for dogs

I can give you the benefit of our experiences.

The French have an altogether different attitude to animal welfare than we Brits. It's a cultural thing. The French kennels in the north of France are usually cages with concrete floors. That's it. The idea that they would excercise the dogs is an anathema. The dogs will remain in the cage from the day you arrive to the day you collect them. The dogs may just be lucky and have the kennel cleaned during their stay but don't assume they will. To the French they are animals and will be treated as such. Fed once a day from dried dog food and water if lucky, then ignored to bark all day and night. 

I have tried many different French kennels over the years I have lived in France and travelled back to UK. I have always been disappointed by the conditions. I no longer will subject my dogs to this basic treatment. As a result I don't travel back so much, our dogs to us are family.

As for costs be prepared to pay as much or more as UK kennels without the comforts.

You are fortunate if you are considering Normandy. Our experiences are totally different from Logan's having two excellent kennels within a few km of our house (in South Manche, near the Mayenne/Brittany borders), although one of these has recently reopened as a cattery only with different proprietors. The other is clean and well-equipped, reasonably priced and run by a British veterinary nurse (who also happens to be a member of this forum). Dogs are regularly exercised and properly fed.

I would imagine Logan's comments hold good for many parts of France which are less well served.

Our experience here in the South East of France has been similar to Logan, but not quite as bad.  Each dog gets his hour to run free, out of his caged area each day.  Though I must say I was not at all impressed by the kennel.  Take a look at this website.  I have not visited this place as we are too far away, but it looks really nice.  Much nicer than the ones around here.

http://www.pension-chien-auberdog.com/default.htm

We have found a couple of good kennels here in Manche (50), for our 2 German Shepherds. True, they get a fairly limited leg stretch each day, and are in kennels with tiled floors and small outside runs, but, these are kept very clean, and the dogs are fed twice a day and have automatic waterers and raised sleeping platforms. I can see that some of these kennels might seem a bit lacking in home comforts for smaller, possibly more pampered dogs, but my boys are pretty adaptable and settle down in most situations quite happily, and, of course have each other for company.

I normally pay around 8€/dog/day which includes food, which I think is good value.

Regards

Chris

We have only been able to find the concrete-floored, minimal comfort variety in the Pas de Calais (though we have discovered an excellent cattery).   We advertised for someone willing to look after our dog in their home and have found it an excellent solution - the dog loves it there and is treated like a member of the family.   It's also cheaper than a kennell at €7 per night.  I suggest that you might think about doing the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Area 23 Creuse same experience hard concrete floor to the kennel your own blanket could be put in a concrete box in the kennel.  The kennel did have a large private run free area but inside it was very dark and not a nice place for a family dog to go.  When the dog returned to his family he had 15 ticks in his body and a visit to the vets was required for a jab even though he had a full tick treatment on him.  My 1st experience was not good.  This was a friends dog I took for them as he had stayed with me for a week and he had the last few days there before his owners returned as I was going away I hated leaving him but had to. I will never take my own dog to a kennels here after that experience.  However I do not want to tarnish every kennels with my one bad experience.