MEN ONLY - Flexible Cystoscopy

MrCanary

[quote user="ErnieY"]I don't know where your experience was Coco but I can tell you that not only would it be nigh on impossible to inset a catheter into an upstanding gentlemen and I don't believe that any surgeon or properly trained nurse would attempt it.

It is not uncommon however, for one to "rise to the occasion" as it were, post insertion, but please please please take my word for it that this is something you really really do want to discourage at all cost's [:'(]

[/quote]

Oh I quite agree Ernie, that's why I was so useless at it, I was never able to manage to insert a catheter properly.  Having re-read my posting I didn't explain myself very clearly  about the 16 year old either.  The catheter was already in place, I was just securing the tape after emptying the bag, that was the bit that "fitted well" at the time and then was sagging too much afterwards and he was getting embarrassing leaks, hence mum's reason for asking for the Sister to do the job instead [;-)]

On a serious note...  Please don't let these tales of 'torture' put anyone off from a visit to the doctor, should anything 'down there' be abnormal.  A friend of ours here was diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago.  He had been somewhat reluctant to visit his doctor when things weren't right, and eventually plucked up the courage once he saw blood in his urine.  In one month's time, it will be the second anniversary of this death... 

[quote user="Tay"]On a serious note...  Please don't let these tales of 'torture' put anyone off from a visit to the doctor, should anything 'down there' be abnormal.  A friend of ours here was diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago.  He had been somewhat reluctant to visit his doctor when things weren't right, and eventually plucked up the courage once he saw blood in his urine.  In one month's time, it will be the second anniversary of this death... 

[/quote]Absolutely and I couldn't agree more.

Men can be their own worst enemies when it comes to medical problems and unless it's actually hurting can tend to go into complete denial with, as Tay's story illustrates, sometimes fatal consequences. Naturally, this ostrich like behaviour multiplies exponentially when the problem is anything remotely to do with out manhood.

I would urge any men reading this, if you EVER pass even the tiniest trace of blood whilst peeing then go to your doctor immediately. It doesn't matter if it's just the once and you never see it again, you must go.

There are many quite innocent reasons for passing blood but equally it can be the first symptom of something far far more deadly and you simply cannot afford to take the risk. It can literally be a matter of life or death.

As a result of my prompt action something potentially nasty was caught at an early stage and although I now have to have regular cystoscopies, which will continue until I've been clear for 7 years, I'm alive and well and the long term prognosis is excellent, it could have been the opposite.

If anybody has a problem and want's to talk privately with someone who's been throught it then feel free to PM me.

[quote user="Prasutagus"]

Coco - you sound like the kind of nurse I have always been looking for.

Are you still working?

[/quote]

Gave it up a long time ago.  But I can assure you, I wouldn't have the same effect these days - middle-aged spread having taken a firmer hold than Sister obviously did [;-)]

What he doesn't realise, Chris, is that we may be at each other's throats half the time, but if anyone else has a go we join forces!

I've been asked why I don't change my nickname, given that it is so easy to make inane jokes using it.

Answer - like everyone else I have a right to keep the name I was given as a boy and for others to respect that. Besides which, a bit of wit I don't mind, can quite appreciate, but not stale old ones...

Aha chaps - a few points....

Firstly, Chris, I am sure it has been done before - inevitable; but perhaps not in connection with a thread like this?

Secondly, Dick, 'join forces', 'missus like his'...?

Now, the latter is getting a bit personal is it not? You forget, I have seen your website and the family photographs....! Glass houses and stones spring to mind!