Don't make the same stupid VISA mistake as me

HoneySuckleDreams

Just a note....and I feel such an idiot.

I bought some flights from the EasyJet site using a UK VISA card (we are flying back to the UK in March).  I've just checked my statement and there is a currency transaction charge.  What I didn't realise at the time was that the "currency" selection was selected as Euro and not GBP, so when I bought them, they were in €'s and consequently not only got stiffed on the €->GBP rate, but also a 2.5% transaction fee.

If I had changed the currency selection, then I wouldn't have lost (I think) 20quid.

I'm fairly tech savvy, and also buy maybe 25-30 return flights and train journeys a year. And I still got it wrong...and made me want to kick something around the office.

With Ryanair also you need to watch that they don't use their own currency conversion .. they advise you to do so (so you know what rate you will pay), but since I have a nationwide credit card I always reject it, as I know that I get the best rate possible from Nationwide on the day it is debited .. suits me better ...

Also check with Eurotunnel, I find the sterling price quoted is better than the euro price .. similar sort of  principle, and you can fool the system if you tell it you are UK resident, even when you want to cross Calais - Folkestone. .. they don't seem to bother when you put in a french address, but ask to pay in sterling.  All they do is check that you rally do want to cross in that direction. 

I did a day return yesterday for €20 with Eurotunnel, it would have cost me £20 had i paid in £ stirling, 36% more.

However my frequent traveller carnet at the time was cheaper in £'s, generally when they set the prices they are more or less equal to the nearest nice round figure but as the exchange rate moves they dont want to be seen to be forever changing their prices so it always pays to check.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I did a day return yesterday for €20 with Eurotunnel, it would have cost me £20 had i paid in £ stirling, 36% more.

However my frequent traveller carnet at the time was cheaper in £'s, generally when they set the prices they are more or less equal to the nearest nice round figure but as the exchange rate moves they dont want to be seen to be forever changing their prices so it always pays to check.

[/quote]

So true Chancer, anomalies do happen, i have paid a fair on the tunnel for a stupid o'clock journey that really didn't make any sense at all as you say it was 33% cheaper (different exchange rate at that time)

I got stiffed good and proper last year when I made a claim on my easyjet travel insurance. I'd booked a flight from Geneva in euros and paid for their single trip insurance the same way. The flight was horribly delayed, but when it came to claiming, the insurers would only pay out in Swiss francs as the flight was from Geneva. I got paid a paltry amount for the delay, but my bank charged me 20 euros for receiving the Swiss Franc transaction and converting it back to euros. Object of the exercise? If you're a French resident, don't ever buy an easyjet travel policy unless you are flying out of a Eurozone country!