Re: Le pain des Français

NormanH

What interests me is the stranger, who wanted to speak to him in the cafe on the Sunday, who said 'mille neuf cent septante-deux' instead of the more usual mille neuf cent soixante-douze. I would much prefer to use septante / octante / nonante as I still get lost when numbers, especially telephone numbers, are hurled at me at speed. Could I do that and start a mini revolution as I am a foreigner ?

Sue

You are right NH, still relevant, we had plenty in my old village with that mentality.

I remember the first time I realised that I had heard someone say quatre vingt dix sept......... and thought that is NOT a number!That is a sum.

And I remember my first time in Geneva and hearing the septante etc and had the biggest grin on my face when I heard it, and thought, 'this is good and sensible'.

I had heard that in ye olde days those that spoke french in France used the septante etc and the artistos did the 'sum' thing and the rest of the population copied them. Is that a myth????

Mais, non, je ne suis pas calée pour les chifres français but I love getting all the numbers wrong!

Trust me to have a mobile with all the 78s, 96s etc.

But, I don't really want to talk about mobiles as the people in the FT shop claim not to be able to désimlocker my FT portable.  I love that word, "désimlockage", but not the hoops I am having to jump through to get the deed done.

If I do succeed in désimlockaging the blasted thing, I will post on the relevant thread so that other people will be able to do it too![:D]