The Street on BBCI.

Gastines

After watching The Street by Jimmy McGovern, especially the episodes with Jim Broadbent and last night's with Timothy Spall, I think J.M. should be made Prime Minister!! He obviously has a better grasp of life and the problems that most of us have to deal with, than the ministers at present, [and past ] .The episode with Jim Broadbent relating to work/redundancy  and the pension scheme probably rang a few bells. Last night's episode with Timothy Spall [Wish they'd put Shooting The Past on again ] was also a lesson in social problems, with so many points covered. Immigration/hospital waiting times/Uni fees and the lack of co-ordination between many local authority departments.

Apart from those points,I wish we could see some of the better series repeated rather than the endless drivel we get before 9.00pm, or in our case 10.00pm.Mind you, everyones taste is different. A few of my favourites. Das Boat.Alan Bleasedale's version of Oliver Twist.G.B.H. Jakes Progress. Boys From The Black Stuff.  The Onedin Line.  just for a start. Once you think about the good ones dozens spring to mind.

What's your viewing favourites.

Regards. B&B St.Malo.    ourinns.org

I loved JM's 'The Lakes'  it was brilliant.  I now have it on dvd as I have never seen it repeated, it was so hardhitting the first time I saw it, you kind of had to see it again to digest it properly.  Not one for you Mum to watch though.

You realize the impression they make when years later you are using expressions from the plays/series. As in Jake's Progress," You do love me don't you Daddy". Dad's Army, " Stupid Boy" .Boys from The Black Stuff, " Give us a job,I can do that", etc.etc.

Yes, The Lakes was good, especially the chef. Hoping to see 'Shooting the Past" again with Timothy Spall.

Regards.B&B. St. Malo     ourinns.org