Re: SK books

ali-cat

It was good I read it just before I emigrated from Ireland to the UK... It brings back allot of memories and not just of RF.

Funny enough I was talking to someone recently about SK and he said The Stand was the only good book SK wrote...

I asked “what about ‘Tommy Knockers”? and he said

“Yea but apart from ‘The Stand’ and the ‘Tommy Knockers”? (see where this is going yet?)

I asked “what about the ‘IT”? and he said

“Yea but apart from ‘The Stand’, ‘Tommy Knockers” and ‘IT”?

I said, ‘Misery’,’ Fire Starter’, ‘Dead Zone’, ‘The Green Mile’, The ‘Shawshank Redemption’…..The Bible….

He said “So what did the Romans ever give us”?

Ok I have to admit that he has written some real trash… ‘Christine’, ‘Cujo’, ‘The Bible’ to name but three but someone so prolific is bound to turn out some crap now and then…..

It’s not Tolstoy OK…. But for a good old read, excitement and a twist or two he is great.

He’s my third fav author.

J

Anne Rice and Martina Cole…. I should say something like Hemmingway but it would be a lie.

Originally posted by Bassman, post moved:

Now I loved 'Christine' and 'Cujo' but wasn't so keen on 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' or 'From A Buick 8' and when I first read 'The Shining ' I wasn't too sure but the second time I loved it Smile [:)] It's the 'Dark Tower' series I never got one with although my mate likes those alone among SK's books .... ah well different strokes eh Wink [;-)]Big Smile [:D]

Paul(Grumpy Old Man section)

I loved the Shining. The scene where the topiary animals start coming alive in the snowy grounds actually had the hairs on my arms and neck standing up as I read it. The movie wasn't half as scary and I thought that generally, Jack Nicholson took it so ott he ruined any tension. I also like the Stand... which I've read several times. Didn't particularly like Stand By Me but loved the movie. Got bored with SK in the middle years, especially when he was collaborating with Peter Straub, was it? But I'll probably buy The Cell as I've read a chapter and it does read well.

Walking Dude, your name kept reminding me of The Stand - isn't Flagg referred to as the Walking Man in that?

Re the Straub collaboration(s) I really loved the Talisman when I read it ages ago. I remember trying to get off the train at St Pancras while reading Wolf's death - practically fell off because of the floods of tears obscuring my vision!

I thought the Dead Zone was terrific - and the film adaptation was superb.

A question re Shawshank... who was there to put the Rita Hayworth poster neatly back up on the wall after Andy had escaped down the tunnel???!