Steve Irwin crocodile man -dead

Beryl

I know this has nothing to do with France, but I used to enjoy his programmes and his passion and enthusiasm.

Sadly, he has been killed by a stingray barb whilst filming  off the Australian coast. His 'hands on approach' was not without its risks, but it's still a great shame.

I always thought his deliberate and distasteful teasing of dangerous creatures, intended solely to provoke them into aggressive behaviour for the benefit of the camera, would end, one day, in tears.  I think he probably expected to be injured from time to time, but calculated fame and income to be worth the risk.

The fish clearly didn't realise the teasing was just for the entertainment of TV viewers.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
It is always a great shame when anybody dies, particularly when the circumstances are avoidable. Now that ceremonies etc. are over, I think it interesting to note reports that "Irwin" fans are now suspected to be behind a number of killings and mutilations of Stingrays in Australia. Brings home to me that much of his appeal was about "the macho life" rather than the beauty, grace and interest of the animals his programs were about. It is quite possible to get across how amazing an animal is without having to leap into its cage, bait it, show how tough you are by mauling it around, etc.

Had it been Michael Jackson taking his baby into a cage with a crocodile and then baiting the crocodile would the public reaction have been positive ?

(Sorry to be negative but I don't enjoy seeing animals baited, pulled, tugged pushed wrestled, etc. for human enjoyment and fun.)

Ian