What Will Really Matter

Bugsy

A friend from the States sent me this the other day and it seems to sum up life pretty well, to me.

What Will Really Matter...

Ready or not, someday it will all come to an end.

There will be no more sunrises, no minutes hours or days.

All the things you collected, whether treasured or forgotten- will pass to someone else.

Your wealth, fame and temporal power will shrivel to irrelevance.

It will not matter what you owned or what you were owed.

Your grudges, resentments, frustrations and jealousies will finally disappear.

So, too, your hopes ambitions and plans, and to do lists will expire.

The wins and losses that once seemed so important will fade away.

It wont matter where you came from, or on what side of the tracks you lived, at the end.

It wont matter whether you were beautiful or brillant.

Even your gender and skin color will be irrelevant.

So what will matter?

How will the value of your days be measured?

What will matter is not what you bought, but what you built: not what you got, but what you gave.

What will matter is not your success, but your significance.

What will matter is not what you learned, but what you taught.

What will matter is every act of integrity, compassion, courage or sacrifice that enriched, empowered or encouraged others to emulate your example.

What will matter is not your competence, but your character.

What will matter is not how many people you knew, but how many will feel a lasting loss when your gone.

What will matter is not your memories, but the memories that live in those who loved you.

What will matter is how long you will be remembered, by whom and for what.

Living a life that matters doesn't happen by accident.

Its not a matter of circumstance but of choice.

Choose to live a life that matters.

bugbear

i love your post.  it also reminds me of something i read once about "living your life backwards".  in other words, live your life by first imagining you are at your own funeral and all your family and friends who are gathered there are nursing their thoughts about you.  as they look down on you, what are they remembering about you?

that echoes some of the things you have said and i always find it sobering to think about it........... 

Very nice. Just wish I could believe it in todays, especially UK/USA "celebrity infatuated" society.

The sentiments expressed are OK, but a large proportion of the UK, AND the USA is obsessed with riches, and I can't see it changing just because the rich person dies. What they HAD will remain just as imprtant to some, as what they GAVE.

I found it a bit trite, to be honest, typically American.

Sorry.

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

I found it a bit trite, to be honest, typically American.

[/quote]

Not sure exactly how you deduced that, I said that I received it from a friend in the states, it didn't actually originate from there. He received it from another friend in Germany. Anyway that's beside the point, namely that shrouds are produced without pockets for a good reason.

That's all..............................................

It's got a lot to do with the fact that Coronation Street is on the TV...............[:(]

Got it by the way and yes it did, as you said originate from the US of A, so apologies to Mr Anglia....................[:(] I still think it's an excellent piece of work though.................

i personally don't care from where it originates.  i also don't care if it's trite.  so what, can something NOT be trite and still relevant?

i'd rather be eager and willing to learn than be blase (sorry can't do the accent) and think little old me cannot make a difference

Are you saying I can't call something trite ?

Because I would rather make my own mind up and that message, to me, is quite simply the usual sugary kind of stuff one can find all over the net. You and in fact anyone, can feel totally free to like it all you like, no problem. I therefore would hope that I can have my opinion on this type of thing and that also includes what books to like or not along with  music, without being told how I should see these things.

miki

i did not not and would not dream of even suggesting that you cannot say something is trite.  if you read my post, you'd see that i said that i personally did not care if it WERE trite.

i don't mind something being sugary or silly or whatever.  i simply think that even some eternal truths can be trite.  because something is trite, that's not to say that it can't be true.

it's a bit like stereotypes; there is often more than a grain of truth in them, is there not?

don't worry, i am in no position to lecture anybody

No definately the right one. It made the papers when, on a visit to London he liked English tea with a lot of sugar in it.

And as for motorcycle luvvies, well, I'm sure they exist and on that basis, I'll bow to your greater knowledge on that subject.

Do they flock to Sitges in the summer..........................?

[quote user="Bugbear"]Do they flock to Sitges in the summer..........................?[/quote]

Sitges, sadly well out of your league old chap. As for flocking there, they sure do and have done for many, many years, nice people, beautiful place and home for me, many years ago. Viva Barca !!

I agree, it's a beautiful place. We have stayed there many times in our Winnebago when on route to Spain for the winter. Never visited in the summer though. From memory there is a very dangerous coastal road that runs north from the town. Overhanging rocks and hairpin bends and stuff.

edit: where did that cat come from ?

What site do you stay in, or did you do a bit of sauvage near the front, like we see many doing in Feb/March ? The best two, over the years, had appartments and luxury houses built on them.

That road over and around the mountain, long had the reputation as one of the worst "main" roads in Spain. If you remember, it had a dusty old cement works on the road as well (still has in fact)  We now take the tunnel at a cost of around €4.50

Cat, what cat................Oh that's just Dick acting like an old moggy [:)]

We always stayed on a site, but I can't recall it's name. It was south of the town (walking distance) and the only one we could actually get into with such a large vehicle, 16.5 metres with the car trailer. The first time we ever visited Sitges we took the wrong exit off the motorway and ended up on 'that' road. Not recommended for the faint-hearted. My wife has just said that yes, she remembers the cement works, I can certainly remember the Cement Lorries...............[:)]

It would be either Camping El Garrofer or more likely Camping Sitges as it is just south and an easy walk in to town. We used to supply ice to the latter.

Even now, you can still take a wrong turning and miss the tunnel and just slip on to the mountain road. Many people prefer to follow signs for Tarragona to avoid both tunnel and that, as you say, treacherous mountain road and drop down later to Sitges, when well past Barcelona.

Carnaval is on 20th Feb, brilliant and 3rd largest Mardi Gras parade.

No I didn't but, not so bad a 5000th post to be talking of my favourite place in Spain but to be honest, most of the post numbers of members who have been here a while are wrong. We have had deletions (!!)  crashes and a few times the Forum itself has been shut down and re-opened with new whatevers (very  technical !) which have often meant posts disappeared and numbers also for others.

I am like some others and prefer that numbers of posts are done away with altogether.

Dick Smith for instance, has nearer 100,000 posts [;-)]