Clarification of social contribution refunds please.

Ernie

Hello all,

First time posting so be gentle. Until April 2013 we had been French residents for 10 years but returned to the uk for family reasons.

We had a couple of rental properties which sold respectively in 2013 and 2014.

My question concerns the increased rate of tax we paid on our rental income for 2013 (declared in 2014) and 2014 (declared in 2015). I only heard yesterday that the French authorities had been held to be acting illegally in imposing these, hence the late enquiry.

Can I still submit a claim for the overpaid tax from 2013 income that was paid in 2014? Is it a two year deadline from when the rent was earned or when the tax was paid? Is there an up to date link of what proof etc. to provide?

Can anyone help with this question too? I've also paid tax in advance, inadvertently through direct debit, on our 2015 French income which was 0. My email enquiries as to how this overpaid tax is repaid have gone unacknowledged. Will it be automatically repaid or do I have to apply?

Sorry for the long windedness. Thanks in advance. Ernie.

OK, but you then went on to mention 'tax' in your post.

And I asked as I know for a fact that we paid more french tax on french income when we left France than when we lived there. This was not because we are english, but because that is the system.

As far as I'm concerned, social charges are another form of tax and I would've thought the title of the post would've been clear enough about what to what I was referring.

And I'm aware that these increased rate of social charges weren't applied just because we're British, rather that we are non residents.

The system of imposing 15.5% social charges on unearned income of non residents was ruled discriminatory, hence the door being opened for reimbursement demands. However, this hasn't stopped the french government trying to shut the door by re-allocating the funds which the social charges raised.

But, I've just found the information I was seeking, elsewhere, so thank you all for your input.

I'm glad you found what you wanted, maybe you could post the link in order to help anyone else who may need it, as far more people read this forum than post.

The french are experts at stealth taxes, they have the french and those that live in France, over, time and time again. I am surprised that they messed this up so, they often do not.

[quote user="idun"]I'm glad you found what you wanted, maybe you could post the link in order to help anyone else who may need it, as far more people read this forum than post.

The french are experts at stealth taxes, they have the french and those that live in France, over, time and time again. I am surprised that they messed this up so, they often do not.

[/quote]

Some details and explanation here: [url]https://www.french-property.com/news/tax_france/social_charges_reimbursement_procedure/[/url]