Britain to introduce carte de sejour next year

Will

I have just heard UK Home Secretary John Reid say that he intends to introduce an ID card for foreign nationals in Britain as from 2008.

Could this pave the way for a largely welcome return of the French titre de sejour? (which of course still exists for non-Europeans) or is Reid excluding other Euro states from his scheme? (it wasn't clear from what he said).

The media seems to have picked up on another part of the package, i.e. sending text messages to foreigners to tell them their visa is about to expire, but has missed the rather more significant part.

Perhaps I missed something, but

The Home Office web site confirms it, saying "We will introduce biometric residence permits for foreign nationals in 2008..."

It sems to apply to Europeans as well as non-Euro citizens, and seems very similar to the French titre de sejour, though the UK card will include biometric data, unlike the potentially easily-forged French cards, and I can't see anything about providing evidence that the applicant can support himself. Though perhaps that is implicit in the issue of the card, and it certainly seems to be John Reid's intention, judging by the later version of the story on the BBC web site at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6424377.stm. The earlier version just concentrated on the silly idea of warning off illegal immigrants by SMS.

At last the Blair government (and in particular the Home Office) seems to be doing something that I can feel 100% in support of.

I hope they bring back the CDS here in France.  Mine expires next April and I really don't fancy having to use my passport for identification, the CDS is so much better - and you feel much less like a foreigner when you whip it out in a shop than if you have to use your passport!

I mentioned in another thread last week that my CDS expires in October this year.  Like you Coco I hope I don't have to use my passport from then on.  My husband who's French doesn't have an identity card but uses his driving license when asked for proof when paying by cheque for example. 

Twinkle and Coco, just apply for a new one when yours expires. Mine expires this month and I'm applying from a new one. My husband has applied for a new one. As long as you qualify then they are obliged to issue new titre de sejours.

I saw the news today and had been wondering if they meant people from EU member states too, but why not.