UNESCO Childrens Report - Depressing and Shameful

AnOther

Folowing this morning's BBC news article about a Dutch primary school in UK I decided to search for the UNESCO report referred to and found it here:

http://www.unicef-icdc.org/presscentre/presskit/reportcard7/rc7_eng.pdf

Obviously I haven't read it thouroughly yet but even a cursory scan reveals an extremely depressing picture of the UK and crystalises some of the annecdotal stories and comments I'm sure we're all too familiar with.

As I say, I have only glanced through it so far, mostly looking at the tables, but one thing that did strike me is that the only category in which UK came second best was in Deaths from Accident or Injury per 100,000 which seems to me to be something of a testament to and a damnation of, the UK's "nanny" state.

How on earth has what is supposedly one of the worlds wealthiest nations come to this sorry and dire state.

Children are any nations most precious resource and the key to it's future and by this yardstick the UK is totally stuffed [:(] [:@].

A very interesting report.  I was shocked at how badly UK did in many important areas, but pleasantly surprised at the above average educational achievement of 15 year-olds.

Perhaps the exams really aren't as dumbed-down as the Daily Mail and Telegraph suggest.

Patrick

If the general attitude of expats and what I see the UK press saying is typical, it's no wonder that British children feel bad.    It's all they're ever told, how rubbish the country is.   Always highlight the bad things, that's what it seems like.

Most of the grumbles I hear when I go back to the UK in fact come from freedoms that many other countries don't have.   So get your act together, Brits, and look at what you DO have!   Your children can only benefit.   [:)]

[quote user="RumziGal"]Always highlight the bad things, that's what it seems like.[/quote]In the light of such a comprehensive and authoritative report it's difficult to see how how you can justify saying "that's what is seems like" when that's how it is.... [:-))]

By "here" I presume you mean UK, but I don't recall anybody saying it was rubbish and it's ridiculous to say it is.

I said it was "stuffed" which is something entirely different, and I stand by that.

You cannot deny the findings in the UNESCO report but none of this has come about overnight but gradually over decades and will take decades to undo, if indeed it is even possible for it to be undone and personally I doubt it. 

Rumzigal - I agree 100% with what you say on this. And also notice that you address brits as "you" - do you identfy more with the french now? Or perhaps you are just referring to those brits who run the country down. Pat. ps just one point from the report - I have only read the first section on material wellbeing. They say that one criteria is that the family is below the 50th centile of national income. But average national incomes vary widely, so how can they compare? They are not comparing like with like.

[quote user="Patf"]Or perhaps you are just referring to those brits who run the country down. [/quote]

Yes, those who run down all things British as a matter of principle.  

There's no pride at all in the good things about Britain, it seems to be suffering from a massive inferiority complex.   A little bit of self-belief would go a long way, I think.

Did anyone see the Doctor Who episode about Shakespeare?   Brilliant!   Bring Shakespeare back where he belongs, as part of everyday culture, and be proud of him!    Encourage Morris Dancing, it's far more entertaining than most French equivalents - go on, admit it!  [:D]

Could eat a bit slower though!  [:D]  

[quote user="RumziGal"]

If the general attitude of expats and what I see the UK press saying is typical, it's no wonder that British children feel bad.    It's all they're ever told, how rubbish the country is.   Always highlight the bad things, that's what it seems like.

Most of the grumbles I hear when I go back to the UK in fact come from freedoms that many other countries don't have.   So get your act together, Brits, and look at what you DO have!   Your children can only benefit.   [:)]

[/quote]

The UK ismuch better off without the whinging so called 'Expat minority' that constantly run it down. The only time we will see them again is when they need the health care..oh no sorry, thats awful as well i heard an expat (Immigrant) say so

........In the light of such a comprehensive and authoritative report it's difficult to see how how you can justify saying "that's what is seems like" when that's how it is.... ....

Comprehensive in demeanor, but how was it put together? Who paid for it? What is their agenda? How was the report received at ground level, did it reflect actual or perceived reality? Reports are not always what they are made out to be. Remember the Iraqi WMD..still looking for them despite the reports

At least one of the educational categories is quite suspect, because to my knowledge the UK didn't submit figures...

I've read it through, and there are some horrible truths about relationships but a lot of other stuff which, whilst not encouraging, suggests that some present policies may have benefits, like, for example, maintaining more students in full-time education until 18. But I remember thaat being derided as a policy...

In fact that is always the problem. People want a result yesterday, and life just isn't like that, especially when changing attitudes.

[quote user="Dick Smith"] 

People want a result yesterday...[/quote]

Some of the figures are 4 years old too.

As far as 'relationships' are concerned, wouldn't it be the sworn and sacred duty of every English kid to say their parents were bobbins in all respects, whereas that might not be so in other countries?