UK Post non Delivery

Frederick

How things have changed ....My wife recently posted a A4 size envelope with three sheets of paper in it with a first class stamp. OK she forgot the new rules about letter size and it went into the village post box ....As the letter was about her pension which is about to be paid to her by the international company she worked many years for it .....contained her birth certificate and our marriage certificate ...On checking today  if they had the documents she found they had not been delivered ....our village post office made some enquiries and it appeared that as the envelope was of a certain size and postal charges were due as a 1st class stamp was not enough  she should have gone to the post office and measured the envelope against the slots in the cardboard mail sizer on the counter then bouight her stamp ...it was retained at the sorting office in the city it had been sent to ... A call from her old company post room revealed that this  Post Office  sorting office was holding lots of big envelopes they had not delivered  and the firm was informed they would have to send sombody down to collect their  mail .....we also were told after 3 weeks uncollected envelopes are destroyed if they have no address of sender on the back of them ....this is the section  of the company dealing with pensions ....do the post office care this is important mail that the are destroying ..........do they hell as like !

You are right Sam ............but we all sometimes have a switched off day ...the Post Office used to deliver mail that extra postage was due on  and it was collected by the postman  ..so is  this is now a thing of the past and postmen are no longer to collect cash on the doorstep  ?

I think that by putting hurdles in the way of people who do still actually want to use mail as a means of communication, the PO do themselves absolutely no service whatsoever.

I am also sorry to say that, IMHO, to post vital or irreplaceable documents, or for that matter, anything with intrinsic value, by anything other than Special Delivery, it is an act bordering on lunacy [blink]

I've had so much stuff undelivered, lost etc over the last few years in the UK, that I automatically pay extra for special D, recorded, registered, insured etc.

I've recently been sending stuff using Special delivery envelopes rated at 2kg.  The envelopes are costed at £7.75 each. This year the PO insisted on weighing them, (they never have before), and found one at 2120g. They wanted nearly £14 extra. I declined and found a second envelope, splitting the contents.

I do sometimes wonder if it's a PO scam though?

I would never risk sending any valuable documents in the post, british or french, without at least taking a copy first. Some things such as passports I would never post. I would rather pay the transport costs and go in person eg to get a visa or a new passport.  This is since I lost an insurance policy in the post during a strike in the ? 80s. Pat.

I think the point is being missed ...........OK we accept it should have been sent recorded ....but its not lost we know where it is ..lying in the sorting office ...and will be collected  as the Post Office requests ...so they can collect the money owed at the sorting office .

Unlike the days when the Royal  Mail would always  get through  it would appear that today if your envelope is a size that will  not be accepted with the wrong  stamp you have put on it  nobody will attempt to deliver it ....mail used to be delivered even if there was no stamp on it at all ....How many firms are having big envelopes with the wrong stamps on them sitting undelivered in sorting offices and 3 weeks later destroyed ? ....If my wife had not made a call to check on delivery and later advise her old firm where the item of mail was ...they would not have known they had  other mail at the sorting office awating one of their staff to go and collect ....so if you use a big envelope make sure you size it at the post office and cover the full  cost of delivery .... or.... it wont leave the sorting office and may be destroyed ....... rant over !

When I used to send out quotes from my UK business, usually 2 - 3 A4 pages plus a manufacturers leaflet or two (I was installing automatic gate systems) often it would be over the minimum weight and if I had forgotten to weigh it the customer was asked to pay about £1 excess, but at least they had the option.

I was also on the receiving end twice, I would get a card from the postman saying I had to pay the excess (£1 from memory) but I never knew what was waiting for me, one was junk mail sent to me and millions of others which must have made the Post Office millions of pounds, the other was from an unhappy potential customer who I had forgotten to re-visit at an agreed time, he just sent back my original quote with a sarcastic message saying he hoped that I had had to pay the excess postage.

I think of him every time a French tradesman fails to turn up or just shrugs his shoulders as to explain why he has not returned my calls for several months following failing to appear.